19th Century Carving Manuals

F

Fred

I am researching 19th Century woodcarving manuals and would like to contact anyone who has knowledge of these items or can direct me to others who do. Presently, I would like bibliographic information as to publish dates for  "A Manual of Wood Carving" by William Bemrose, Jr., a British author (and publisher).

Fred,

The book was published in 1885.  There is a copy for sale at www.abebooks.com for $200.00.  Hope this helps.

Thanks Norman for your information.  I will check it out.  I have a forth edition of the work but it has no date. I also have a 17th edition; again without date, but has an inscription of 1896.  My intention is to work my way back through the editions to (if possible) determine the date of the first edition.  I suspect that the first edition of this book is earlier than the 188O's.  The 22nd edition of 1906 will be reprinted by Dover sometime next year.
Take care, Fred

I would like to say that in spite of on-going research on William Bemrose, Dover Publications will publish in May 2009 a volume entitled Bemrose on Traditional Woodworking and reprint three of the gentleman's works. They are Manual of Wood Carving, Manual of Buhl Work and Marquetry, and Fret-cutting and Perforated Carving of various editions of each.  One of the strengths of the volume is the many designs for these processes. Anyone doing 19th Century reproductions will benefit by owning this book.

I just received a copy of the tenth edition of Bemrose's Manual Of Wood Carving. In referencing the publication dates, seems 1862 was the first:

http://www.worldcat.org/search?q=bemrose+manual+of+wood+carving&fq=&dblist=638&qt=first_page

It's quite a smaller volume than his Fretwork book but it does have a nice embossed cover (the bookman in me once again).

I recently asked of a wood carver what early books did he recommend. He really didn't know of any decent 19th or 18th C books to suggest.

I currently have:

Bemrose: Manual of Woodcarving c1889
Fairham: Wood Carving; The Woodworker Series c1920
Leland: Woodcarving c1900
Hodgson: Easy Lessons In The Practical Art Of Wood Carving
Rowe: Practical Wood Carving

and a handful of books on chip carving.

Does anyone have any other titles to recommend?

Gary

Back