18th century "super bowl"

macchips4

I'm contemplating making a bombe chest of drawers in the future.
      I have the plans from the website by Ed Stuckey for a Bombe chest with a flat front or I was also thinking about one with a serpentine or bowl front. Question is: would it be "correct"/OK/permissible to have two piece sides, and /or a two piece top? Obtaining 20"+ very wide 3" mahogany is a quite pricy and no local dealers presently have any. The same for wide 20"+ 4/4 for the top. But glued up (2pc) narrower 3" stock for the sides and 12" 8/4 to be re-sawn for a book-matched top is an option that's locally availible.
Any opinions or thoughts?  Thanks

You can use two piece top and sides, but being the purist that I am, I would go with one piece.  Yes, mahogany is expensive, but with all the work involved, why try to save a few bucks on materials on such a fine piece.  Remember,  whatever you use will be there to look at from now on.  I don't think you will regret it.

Kirk

Does anyone know of examples of period bombes with two-piece sides?  If so, then it's a little easier to make that decision.

That said, I don't know why bombe should be any different than other case pieces in this regard.  Though it may not be "correct," it's widely accepted to use a glue-ed up side/top on case piece reproductions...they key is to do it well (good color match/grain match, with a single glue joint roughly down the middle).  We almost always have to make some concessions to modern timber, after all.

One of the things that makes a Bombe is the way the growth rings forma sort of a bulbous shape on the sides.

But if gluing up I would opt for 1/4 sawn to hide the fact that it was a glue up.

The only bombe I'm aware of with glued up sides is the Derby-Rand desk. A bad picture Here:http://www.clprickett.com/CLP4941pg23.htm, but you can make out the glue line.

In wood working, especially 18th century, For every absolute hard fast rule there always seems to be exceptions.

I spent some time at the hardwood dealer and found two 12/4 "boards" of genuine mahogany. One 16" and another 23" wide, both 8 foot long.
That gives plenty of material for the sides, feet , drawers etc.
But the top... using these , it would be 2 pieces book-matched after re-sawing a plank.
Maybe I'll keep looking for a 4/4 or 5/4 23" wide piece for a one piece top.

Back