18th Century Cabinetmaking: A Forgotten Art

Rick Yochim

Reading Mark's excellent review of this book in the latest newsletter has whetted my appetite but I would like to solicit some opinions from anyone who has read it.

While I will probably buy it as I am loathe to reject any period woodworking book (and I am sure I will be inspired by it), I am wondering if it will also help me further develop my understanding of aesthetics and mechanics as I continue to build. I am particularly interested in improving the fineness of my work habits (meaning building processes) and in my understanding of what is and is not good period design and execution.

Any and all thoughts from those who know this book are appreciated.

Thanks.

Rick Yochim 

I bought it and I am happy with it. I have taken classes with Gene, so for me there was little new information. But it reminded me of the steps and has good clear pictures of each step, and I will definatly have it in the shop with me on future projects. And the techniques that are new to me, I believe there is enough information there to learn how to do it.

Most importantly to me was to support efforts like this. I hope to encourage everyone to document and share there work. I think the more documentation there is the more people will find that it's not that hard to do. And with  more documentation I believe it will get more people interested and I think that's a good thing.

Back