Follow Us: iconfinder 5365678 fb facebook facebook logo icon 64px   iconfinder 5296765 camera instagram instagram logo icon 64px   iconfinder 5296516 tweet twitter twitter logo icon 64px   youtube 64px

 
Furniture from the Cadwalader mansion, often mistaken as English or Irish, which we can now
demonstrate is due to the aesthetic synergy with the family’s prized collection of London silver,
has been discovered in America, England, Ireland and Italy. The majority of the furniture passed
by descent through the Cadwalader family to Dr. Charles Cadwalader (1836-1907), great -grandson
of John Cadwalader.
 
In the July 16th edition of 1897 The Philadelphia Evening Bulletin made mention of the furnishings
of Dr. Cadwalader's house, the bedrooms reportedly furnished in “old mahogany”28
 
In that year, Charles, to the dismay of polite Philadelphia society, married his twenty one year old Irish
house maid Bridget Mary Ryan, daughter of a police constable from Tipperary. Life in Philadelphia
became uncomfortable so in 1904, Charles, his young wife and their newly born son packed up their
home and moved to London. 
 
Much of the house contents were sent to auction with the firm of Davis and Harvey.The catalogue of
the sale of the goods in Philadelphia in November 1904 states that they were "To be sold by order of
Dr. Chas. E. Cadwalader, prior to his residence in Europe."29
 
It is known that some of their belongings, including furniture and silver, were taken to England with
them.30 Unfortunately both Charles and his young son died in London in 1907.
 
CB66
Dr Charles Cadwalader.
 
New research by Ellen Leslie has given fresh insights into the movements of Charles and Bridget
Cadwalader when they arrived in England.31 It is now known that they resided at 97 Prince of Wales
Mansions, on the South side of Battersea Park, London. 
 
The bed emerged at an auction in the South of England in 2013. The following year the Cadwalader
tea table surfaced at the same auction.
 
A set of Cadwalader chairs emerged at auction in 1974 initially thought to be English.  
They were, however, recognised by an American collector and matched to a chair in the Winterthur
Museum. Their history was traced back through their owner Major Fanshawe, who had inherited the
chairs from his friend Nancy Connell, who in turn had purchased them in auction in 1934 from Pallas,
County Galway, the estate of the Earl of Westmeath.
 
An inscription made by a Philadelphia upholsterer active in the city until 1905 proves they were still
in the States in the early years of the century. It is assumed that these superbly carved rococo chairs
with hairy paw feet were part of the furnishings that  travelled across the Atlantic with Dr. Charles 
and his young wife; part of the "old mahogany" in the bedrooms mentioned by the Evening Bulletin
 
In 1907 Bridget Mary inherited the remainder of the Cadwalader possessions from her deceased husband.
The chairs do not appear in an early Pallas inventory of 1913 so it can be assumed they were acquired
sometime after that date. Their purchaser, The Earl of Westmeath, was a frequent visitor to London,
where he sat in the House of Lords.
 
Charles Cadwalader chose to bring his great-grandfather’s best chairs to start his new life in London.  
These chairs had sat in the bedroom of his Philadelphia home. He had them reupholstered in Philadelphia 
before the journey. It is likely that the best Cadwalader four poster, probably recently draped, came with 
them also. In 1907 a young widow needing to downsize could well have sold the bed along with the chairs
and other furniture. 
 
In early 1911 the widowed Bridget Mary Cadwalader moved from Prince of Wales Mansions to 23 
Connaught Mansions, where she lived with her spinster sister. The Philadelphia bed with the same
distinctive hairy paw feet as the five chairs appears in Herbert Cescinsky's English Furniture of the
Eighteenth Century Vol II published in London, 1909-1911.
 
CB67
Illustration taken from Herbert Cescinsky, English
Furniture of the Eighteenth Century, London, 1910. V o l .
II, p. 348, fig. 378.