Our membership includes woodworkers from all over the state of Florida. However, two-thirds of our membership is concentrated in Central Florida and the Tampa-St. Pete area. We meet twice a year in the spring and fall. These events give members the opportunity to show their current work and learn from fellow members and guest presenters. Our spring event is generally a 2-day weekend event featuring a guest speaker from an affiliate chapter. Our Fall event is a single day event featuring talks by local Florida chapter members.
When you join SAPFM, you are able to particiapate in any, or all, chapter events.
Our next event will be held in October 2021 in Lakeland, FL. Lakeland is midway between Orlando and Tampa. This will be an in-person event and will feature presenters from our local chapter. Speakers include:
- Craig Aebli who will present his latest project, a federal period side (work) table.
About our Meetings
Like many SAPFM regional chapters, the Florida chapter meets twice a year in the spring and fall. Florida Chapter members live throughout the state. Roughly 1/3 live in Central Florida, 1/3 live in Tampa-St. Pete, and 1/3 live are spread out everywhere else with no significant concentration. For this reason, our two yearly meetings are split between Orlando and Tampa.
- Typically held in late March in the Orlando area.
- Generally, a 2-day weekend event featuring a guest speaker from an affiliate (out of state) chapter.
- The format can be either a hands-on class, or in depth demonstration of building technique centered on a specific piece of furniture (e.g. highboy) or a skill (e.g. carving, finishing).
- Since we must pay a guest speaker to travel from out of state, we charge a nominal fee for members to attend. This covers our costs. The registration fee is nominal, especially when compared to what you would pay to attend a woodworking school.
- Typically held in late September in the Tampa area.
- Generally, a 1-day event featuring presentations by multiple local chapter members.
- Members volunteer to give a one-hour presentation on a topic of their choice related to period furniture. There are usually 3-4 presenters for the day.
- A call for presenters is email to everyone months before this meeting. We appreciate everyone who volunteers.
- There is no cost to attend this meeting.
- Visitors are welcome to attend. We hope you will find it worthwhile and join.
In addition to presentations, members are encouraged to bring in their current works to display and talk about during the ‘Show-and-Tell’ segment of the meeting. We always have interesting pieces show up, as there are many gifted furniture makers among us. Ample time is set aside for members to catch up with one another during breaks, lunch outings, and over coffee and donuts in the morning.
SAPFM chapters do not charge a separate membership fee. Membership fees are paid directly to the national organization. However, we may ‘pass the hat’ for snacks.
Meeting will be announced by email and in the quarterly ‘Pins and Tails’ newsletter well ahead of time. You can always look to this web-site for announcements. The email list we use is generated from membership data from the SAPFM.org web-site. Hence, it is important that members keep their information up to date there. All members should have a log-in. Updating your information is easy, once logged in go to: https://www.sapfm.org/update-your-information. Anyone entering the ‘Florida’ as their primary, secondary, or tertiary will receive emails about our meetings.
Hilights of Past Events
Below is a list of past events organized by the Florida chapter. Be sure to click the link after each synopsis to view the full event write-up.
- September 28, 2019, Fall Meeting - Various local Florida chapter member presentations. Read More >>.
- March 30-31, 2019 – Spring Meeting - Jay Stallman demonstrates construction detail of his recently completed Federal Period Desk. Read More >>
- September 22, 2018, Fall Meeting - Various local Florida chapter member presentations. Read More >>
- May 18-29, 2018 – Spring Meeting - Tod Herrli conducted a hands-on workshop on the construction of side escapement wood hand planes. Read More >>
- September 23, 2017 – Fall Meeting - Various local Florida chapter member presentations. Read More >>
- March 25-26, 2017 – Spring Meeting - Ronald Young demonstrated the construction details of a Federal Period Cellarette. See theRead More >>
The Florida Chapter Lead is Joe Kunzman. You can reach him at [email protected] or call: 407-636-1232
Notable Members of our Chapter (with links to Gallery)
Craig Aebli - On Instagram
External Links to our Area
Museum of Arts and Sciences - Located in Daytona Beach, this museum has a gallery of American period furniture and paintings.
Florida School of Woodworking - Located in Tampa, this school offers a variety of woodworking courses.