Author Topic: Finish on a Bombe' Chest  (Read 662 times)

macchips4

• Forum Master
Re: Finish on a Bombe' Chest
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2020, 11:37:00 AM »
I also want to thank everybody for their time to respond, the information, and ideas.....Shows how valuable a resource this forum and the SAPFM group is....Hope all have a safe and happy holidays.....while I'm hiding in the basement finishing little pieces of wood.......

CBWW

• Forum Master
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2020, 07:11:47 PM »
From what I understand, the first record of shellac being imported into this country is around 1849.  Could it have been brought in sooner?  maybe.   It was used in Europe prior but its main use was for the dye that came from it.  It wasnt until the mid 1830 that it was able to be processed for furniture use.  The info that I have read on this is vague so take it for what it is....

Shellac is used extensively in the antique conservation/restoration trade.  I would actually look into the conservation trade area for more info on it.  The folks that do micro analysis on period finishes- The Beckerdite series come to mind over this.  I know I've seen info on all this somewhere but cant pull it out of my memory. 

As far as your bombe, I hope it comes out great in whatever you decide to do.  Finishing is a trade, in and of itself, and the deep knowledge of what and how to do it is not publicly accessible.   Its not even taught in the woodworking schools.  Even Nbss.  I would advise you to do samples, more samples, and then some more.  Try new things, new techniques that you havent done.  Push your boundary. 

I found that when I have a new piece where the client isnt dictating color, Ill still find some photo of a piece I like and match that.  It gives me direction and a goal.  I actually did that recently on a CT cherry table that a dealer had.  Long story... but a picture of a "light, not red" antique from the Kuggelman book gave me guidance. 

Good Luck.   

macchips4

• Forum Master
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2020, 07:33:54 PM »
At first I was going to do an oil and wax finish, then a "satin" varnish for more protection But.......Well it is "not as planned" But the figure just needed to stand out more ...and I just kept going... so shellac, color and shellac it is.....rubbing and French polishing..... got to leave it alone for a few days.......

macchips4

• Forum Master
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2020, 12:07:51 AM »
selfish bump

Mark Maleski

• Regional Chapter Coordinator
  • Forum Master
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2020, 09:03:40 PM »
That top popped nicely!  I’m looking forward to seeing it with brasses attached.

macchips4

• Forum Master
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2021, 12:26:05 AM »
Thanks Mark, Me Too!