Author Topic: Goddard Townsend drawer blades  (Read 709 times)

HSteier

• Forum Master
Goddard Townsend drawer blades
« on: March 24, 2019, 10:04:10 PM »
How were the double beaded drawer blades on Goddard Townsend chests made in the originals? Were the beads formed with a scratch stock and then the background between the beads chiseled or removed with a small router? I think a router would be unstable on a narrow (7/8") drawer blade. I think a scratch stock that did both beads at the same time would be unwieldy.
All thoughts appreciated.

Howard Steier

Antiquity Period Designs, Ltd.

• Forum Master
  • Professional period furniture maker - now retired
Re: Goddard Townsend drawer blades
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2019, 09:17:50 AM »
Howard,
I have done this several times. I use a scratch stock that cuts only half of the width. It is double the work to cut both sides but I find that I get better results. For example, if your drawer blade varies by only a little in width (7/8") and you use a full profile scratch stock you may not get a full bead on the side opposite of the scratch stock fence. It takes only a few minutes more to do both edges/sides (and it is a good workout!). If the flat between the beads has a slight ridge use narrow card scraper or narrow chisel to smooth it out.

Dennis Bork
Antiquity Period Designs
Professional period furniture maker since 1985.  Received a B.S. degree in physics then apprenticed and worked as a wood patternmaker for 12 years. Retired Dec. 2018.

HSteier

• Forum Master
Re: Goddard Townsend drawer blades
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2019, 10:23:08 PM »
Thanks. I'll try it on some scraps first.

Howard Steier