Author Topic: Looking Glasses  (Read 923 times)


  • Forum Apprentice
  • *
  • Posts: 7
Looking Glasses
« on: February 23, 2019, 03:47:42 PM »
As someone else earlier had asked,I'm curious about how the glass was held in these mirrors, what kind of backs and so forth. I've never seen any details about construction of the reverse. Anyone?

Antiquity Period Designs, Ltd.

  • Forum Master
  • ***
  • Posts: 404
  • Professional period furniture maker, - now retired
Re: Looking Glasses
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2019, 05:06:33 PM »
I just hand plane a board to approx. 5/16" thick and screw it into a rabbit.

Dennis Bork
Antiquity Period Designs
Professional period furniture maker since 1985.  Received a B.S. degree in physics then apprenticed and worked as a wood patternmaker for 12 years. Cartouche recipient 2009. Retired Dec. 2018.


  • Forum Apprentice
  • *
  • Posts: 17
    • In Proportion to the Trouble
Re: Looking Glasses
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2019, 12:02:13 PM »
If you are talking about typical 18th century British/American looking glasses, the glass lays in the rebate formed by the moulding attached to the frame.  it is held in place with a series of right-angle triangular shaped glue blocks roughly 2 inches long around the perimeter.  One square surface is glued to the frame, the other faces the back. The hypotenuse rests on the glass securing it.  The thin backboards are held in place by nails driven into the frame.