Author Topic: 12" jointer/ planer  (Read 8263 times)

Ed Griner

• Forum Apprentice
Re: 12" jointer/ planer
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2012, 08:23:44 AM »

I still hand plane or hand whatever on every project I make. The point I was trying to make is if you are going to purchase new machinery Felder is absolutely top of the line. They have raised the level on the term "Top of the Line". I would say there is more low end machinery being sold as TOTL,that is substandard. With a company like Felder your dealing with the manufacturer,who provides old time service. Gives you a call,a month after the sale to see how your doing. Thats all folks!

macchips4

• Forum Master
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2012, 05:49:51 PM »
Ed,
   I realize you are happy with the Felder machine, after looking at their web site videos and photos. i would agree it is "TOTL". When you were looking to purchase, did you have others in mind? what made the decision to choose felder over other? was it the 16" width? D0 you find the machine retains it's accuracy when changing between jointer and planer? Is there any periodic adjustments that are necessary to maintain it?. Sorry to linger on the subject, but it would be a big purchase.
Thanks, Joe
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 05:57:07 PM by macchips4 »

Ed Griner

• Forum Apprentice
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2012, 05:12:58 AM »

Felder for me is located in New Castle,Del..Their ware house,sales,everything,related to their machinery is in one location. Customer service is a top priority,they encourage you to stop over and chat,look around,make you feel very comfortable about dealing with them. All of my other stationary machinery is Delta and Powermatic from the 40s to the 60s. I bought it all used,had to set it all up,and have been using it for thirty years,no complaints. A birdie suggested I check out Felder and I'm glad I did. Dealing with them was like my dad buying a new Ford in the 50s,Customer First!. The quality,design, is unequaled in cabinet shop machinery. If you give them a call, I'm sure you will be impressed. I had to order my A3-31 in Jan. for delivery in April,I found this a little strange,but it was worth the wait. Basically I ordered it ,they made it,put it on a boat and it arrived on schedule. Hope this helps,Good Luck

Martin S.

• Forum Journeyman
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2012, 12:19:16 PM »
PM me if you want more details.  Martin

George Madok

• Forum Apprentice
  • Started period furniture making in 1989.
    • George Madok
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2012, 12:11:50 AM »
My 1.5C worth,
maybe I'm lazy but I hate switching between functions. Sometimes I go back and forth between jointing and plaining and would not like to switch back and forth. I have a 1942 Northfield 12" jointer and a 'lunchbox" delta 12" planer that I keep waiting to die so I could buy a wider one, but it still keeps working. I mostly joint 12" or less but if I am using a board wider than 12" I would never think of cutting it down to fit my jointer. Wide, unjointed boards are at a  premium in period furniture making, so why pay premium prices for wide boards just to cut them down? If space is not an issue I would always go for stand alone dedicated machines.

George's 1 1/2c