Author Topic: Brass Engraving  (Read 12146 times)

rchampagne

• Forum Master
Brass Engraving
« on: December 23, 2010, 12:02:31 PM »
At some point I'd like to make a copy of a clock made by John Avery, a local to me (Preston, CT) clock maker and silver smith.  The majority of his clocks have an engraved brass face.  Has anyone had any experience with hand engraving brass?  I found some information in a quick google search, but thought I'd see if anyone could point me to an appropriate resource. 
Thanks,
Rob

Antiquity Period Designs, Ltd.

• Forum Master
  • Professional period furniture maker, - now retired
Re: Brass Engraving
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2010, 12:30:25 PM »
Rob,

A few years ago (maybe 5 years) CW had a conference on clocks. One of the presenters was from PA (I think) who made and sold engraved brass clock faces.  Does anyone remember remember him and have his contact info?

Dennis Bork
Professional period furniture maker since 1985.  Received a B.S. degree in physics then apprenticed and worked as a wood patternmaker for 12 years. Cartouche recipient 2009. Retired Dec. 2018.

msiemsen

• Regional Chapter Coordinator
  • Forum Master
  • Full time woodworker, I sell tall clock movements
    • Green Lake Clock Company
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2010, 12:39:26 PM »
I have looked for a long time to find someone to engrave brass dials on this side of the Atlantic. I have dials engraved by Goodacre in England.
http://www.goodacre.ndirect.co.uk/
He does a great job but you must be patient and it is not cheap. If you are looking to do it yourself there are several places on the internet offering instruction, mostly to do with guns.
Mike
Mike Siemsen
Green Lake Clock Company
There are II kinds of people in the world. Those that can read roman numerals and those that can't

millcrek

• Forum Master
    • Millcreek Woodworking
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2010, 01:40:53 PM »
Engraving was also used as a print making technique. Graphic Chemical and Ink sells tools. Try searching print making for books on engraving.

rich

• Forum Journeyman
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2010, 01:49:02 PM »
I can engrave dials. if you are interested  [email protected]
I fthink my price would be cheap as I love to do it

• Forum Master
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2010, 01:55:56 PM »
I found it.  David Lindow, but I don't know if he still engraves the faces.  You will have to email him: http://www.lindowclockmaker.com/

Dennis Bork
Professional period furniture maker since 1985.  Received a B.S. degree in physics then apprenticed and worked as a wood patternmaker for 12 years. Cartouche recipient 2009. Retired Dec. 2018.

msiemsen

• Forum Master
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2010, 03:29:37 PM »
David Lindow is a clock maker. I do not believe he does any engraving.
Mike
Mike Siemsen
Green Lake Clock Company
There are II kinds of people in the world. Those that can read roman numerals and those that can't

• Forum Master
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2010, 04:33:30 PM »
Mike,

At the 2004 CW conference David showed several engraved dial faces.  Either he engraved them or bought and sold them, I can't remember.

Dennis Bork

msiemsen

• Forum Master
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2010, 05:09:10 PM »
I believe he had someone else do them. If nothing else he could give you a name.
Mike
Mike Siemsen
Green Lake Clock Company

rchampagne

• Forum Master
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2010, 10:18:11 AM »
Thanks for the leads guys. I am wondering if any of the skills required for carving wood would transfer to engraving.  Seems it would be different but similar in a number of ways. 

• Forum Master
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2010, 10:41:31 AM »
Rob,

I've done metal engraving on patch boxes on flintlock rifles and a few brass face dials on bracket clocks.  (I'm far from being an expect.)  Hand metal engraving is much different from wood carving.  Different tools and different techniques.  But why not try it!  You may find it interesting and challenging and be good at it.

Dennis Bork

rchampagne

• Forum Master
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2010, 11:39:19 PM »
Dennis,
I would like to at some point.  My initial impression is that the materials are fairly expensive.  In terms of degrees of difficulty, how hard is it to engrave a clock face?
Merry Christmas,
Rob

Jeff Saylor

• Forum Master
  • Retired H.S. Industiral Arts teacher
    • Jeff Saylor
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2010, 09:22:08 AM »
I'm sure there are a lot of us out here with a clock fetish!  Maybe this could be a topic at a future summer conference.
Jeff Saylor
SAPFM #211  Hobbies include hunting, fishing, making furniture, searching for old tools at flea markets.

klkirkman

• Forum Master
  • boatbuilder/pattern maker/apprentice silversmith
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2010, 12:23:38 AM »
Rob,

I am by no means an expert, but I did spend some time looking reasonably thoroughy into the feasability of doing some engraving, The real McCoy consists of "carving" grooves in the surface of a metal plate using specialized hand tools something like miniature wood carving chisels.

There are power tools available now, not cheap, and videos that show how to use them.

I think to ask the question "how hard is it " is reasonable, but the answer is not simple - how hard is it to cut a dovetail or pinstripe a fender ?  Recall that engravers are skilled artists who used to serve an apprenticeship like many trades, and so "how hard it is" depends on exactly how complex an engraving job, and how demanding you wish to be about the result.

Having said that, I am fairly sure a skilled and handy-with-tools person who wants to take the time and trouble and expense to learn the trade can probably do a credible job - but not in a few days. Think how long it took you to produce professional looking dovetails, cut  entirely by hand,  as an example.

Karl

Karl

• Forum Master
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2010, 08:20:05 AM »
Rob,

I built my flintlocks back in the 70's and purchased the engraving tools from Dixie Gun Works. You can now buy the tools online, http://www.dixiegunworks.com/default.php?cPath=22_96_220_221&sort=2a&&page=1, bottom of page 1 and top of page 2.  I did not look but they may have books and videos on engraving also.

Dennis Bork