Author Topic: Looking for a substitute for Boxwood  (Read 11418 times)

CBWW

• Forum Master
Re: Looking for a substitute for Boxwood
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2010, 07:51:27 AM »
Freddy-  might want to check this place out-  www.eisenbrandhardwoods.com  Dont know if you know of them or not. 

Pete Aleksa
www.cherrybrookwoodworks.com

Freddy Roman

• Regional Chapter Coordinator
  • Forum Master
  • NOT TO DECIDE IS TO DECIDE!!!
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2010, 07:59:20 AM »
Well 5.00 a bd. ft. is a great price and the color from what I can tell is good.  So I would love to purchase at this point one board.  For I would need to make sure that the material will work with what I want to do.  So I guess contact me at [email protected] so we can proceed in the process of purchasing material.  Thanks

FR
Freddy Roman
Maker & Restorer
Inlay Maker

dkeller_nc

• Forum Master
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2010, 11:10:21 AM »
Freddy - If your customer insists on boxwood, I'd recommend using the real stuff, so long as they're willing to pay for it.  true buxus species several characteristics that make them unique.  Specifically, one cannot see any grain whatsoever unless using a powerful magnifying glass, and the wood has a remarkable resilence to splitting.  That last property is why boxwood is the premeir wood for chisel handles and other tools that must be struck during the course of use.  That might be important for inlay, as well.

However, if your customer is OK with a substitute that's cheaper, I would strongly recommend American Holly as the preferred alternative.  It's bone-white when new, ages very similarly to boxwood, is readily available, has much historic precedent as an inlay wood, and is reasonably OK to work with (it doesn't split and shatter nearly as easily as ebony when used for the same purpose).

I have both Holly and the south american boxwood substitute in my stock, and I would choose holly over the SA boxwood substitute any day.  The SA alternative is a sort of very light lemon-yellow color when freshly cut, which might look a bit odd on your customer's piece.
Period Furniture & Carving as a hobby - about 20 years woodworking

Freddy Roman

• Regional Chapter Coordinator
  • Forum Master
  • NOT TO DECIDE IS TO DECIDE!!!
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2010, 05:13:32 PM »
Thank you everyone for their opinions and recommendations. 

FR
Freddy Roman
Maker & Restorer
Inlay Maker

John Cashman

• Forum Master
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2011, 01:50:10 PM »
I know this thread is old now, but I have a source for genuine boxwood if anyone is interested, Rare Woods USA, located in Mexico, Maine (http://www.rarewoodsusa.com/). I have bought some 4/4 and 8/4 boxwood and it is great stuff. I saw at least fifteen pallets of the stuff, mostly 4/4, with some 8/4. It is all about three feet long, and three to six inches wide.

In addition to the boxwood, they have a good selection of native hardwoods, including some of the nicest wide birdseye maple I've seen in a long time. They also have the most incredible variety and quantity of exotics I've seen in one place, including many species I've ever heard of, crotches, etc. It's a great place.

I have no connection except as a happy customer, and as one who spent a lot of time looking around for good boxwood.

klkirkman

• Forum Master
  • boatbuilder/pattern maker/apprentice silversmith
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2011, 07:06:23 AM »
John,

I visited the web site with an eye to putting some boxwood aside as I learned long ago that one buys the nicest wood when it is available, not when one wants it.

I was absolutely stunned to see that they stock 35,000 board feet. At their retail price, that amounts to about $1M worth iof inventory.

Wow ! 

Karl
Karl

John Cashman

• Forum Master
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2011, 09:41:32 AM »
Karl,

I was amazed at the volume as well. I'm used to my local lumberyard, which stocks very small quantities. And any of the specialty dealers I called only had a few pieces of pretty gnarly wood. My primary purchase at Rare Woods in Maine was Swiss Pear, which I got in 4/4, 8/4 and 12/4. Beautiful stuff. I was so worn out I never got to look at the mahogany. There's just wood everywhere. Well worth a look, or a call. Again, I have no connection, other than as a happy customer.