Author Topic: Looking for a substitute for Boxwood  (Read 11417 times)

Freddy Roman

• Regional Chapter Coordinator
  • Forum Master
  • NOT TO DECIDE IS TO DECIDE!!!
Looking for a substitute for Boxwood
« on: May 24, 2010, 10:37:52 PM »
Hello All,

I am looking for a substitute for boxwood and love anyones input.  I found some years ago and I just ran out.  I would have thought that I could remember the species but I don't.  So if you have any input or information I would greatly appreciate it.

FR
Freddy Roman
Maker & Restorer
Inlay Maker

John Cashman

• Forum Master
Re: Looking for a substitute for Boxwood
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010, 10:48:55 PM »
Clark and Williams and Matt Bickford use Persimmon for the boxing on their planes. It is a dark, muddy color, but has very good wearing properties.

If it is for small pieces or turnings, I like Pear. It carves wonderfully, takes great detail, and is light in color, although not as light as Boxwood.

Woodmolds

• Forum Master
  • Professional Wood Butcher (Architectural Millwork)
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010, 11:22:50 PM »
Here are some closeups of some wood I bought for boxwood, but was later told it is Turkish? I bought this with the intention of making some planes with it. I believe it's called Pau Marfim(Pau Marfim Specific Gravity.73). Anyway I know some more is available. I believe it's 7/4 material. I'll check tomorrow and see. If you're interested I'll get you a price and a sample. You can get rough, surfaced, resawn and/or sanded.

Tony
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 09:28:49 PM by Woodmolds »
"Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly ever acquire the skill to do difficult things easily.? Friedrich von Schiller (1759-1805)

Kari Hultman

• Forum Apprentice
    • The Village Carpenter
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2010, 07:46:24 AM »
I'll second John's recommendation of European or Swiss Pear. It's a delight to work with: tight grain, beautiful color, holds a crisp edge.

millcrek

• Forum Master
    • Millcreek Woodworking
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2010, 12:59:18 PM »
What's it for? Why not use Boxwood?

Freddy Roman

• Forum Master
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2010, 09:17:17 PM »
The boxwood is going to be used for stringing, bell flowers, motifs.  I can used Ceylon Satinwood but the original is supposedly boxwood and the customer would rather have what is on the original. 

FR

Turkish Boxwood:

I would love to know more info on Turkish Boxwood regarding size and cost.  Thanks

FR
Freddy Roman
Maker & Restorer
Inlay Maker

John Cashman

• Forum Master
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2010, 09:28:01 PM »
I wouldn't mind hearing about Turkish boxwood either. Most commercial boxwood used to be from there, but by the late 19th century most of the supply started coming from South America. It was a slightly different species, I believe. I've been looking for boxwood for a while.

I think that Righteous Woods in Rowley MA has some boxwood, if you check with them Freddie. They should be in your neck of the woods as well. Try this:

http://www.righteouswoods.net/boxwood_asian.html

Freddy Roman

• Forum Master
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2010, 11:14:54 PM »
I have tried Righteous but the stock was not to snuff. 

FR

Thanks!!!
Freddy Roman
Maker & Restorer
Inlay Maker

John Cashman

• Forum Master
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2010, 11:18:17 PM »
That's good to know. I haven't been there for a while.

Freddy Roman

• Forum Master
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2010, 12:15:48 AM »
The issue with most European Boxwood is that it comes in small sizes.  I would need at least 22 inch lengths and for a lot inlay.   So I would like something really similar.  In the end Satinwood may be another solid option.

FR
Freddy Roman
Maker & Restorer
Inlay Maker

Woodmolds

• Forum Master
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2010, 09:22:15 PM »
I cannot verify the pictures I previously posted are Turkish boxwood or even boxwood for that matter. I do know I have the only pieces my supplier had.

What I am sure of is the Pau Marfim(Balfourodendron riedelianum) I mentioned, also known by these names: Farinha-seca, Gramixinga, Guataia, Guatambu blanco / moroti, Ibira-nete, Ibiranoti, Ivorywood, Marfim, Moroti, Pao liso, Pao marfim, Pau liso, Pequia marfim, Quatamba.

Characteristics: The wood is whitish-yellow to lemon coloured, with little distinction between sapwood and heartwood. The texture is very fine and uniform, the grain straight or irregular, occasionally interlocked, and the wood has a medium luster. It weighs about 800 Kg / m3 when dried.

The source is South America - Brazil, Paraguay, & Argentina.  This was labeled when it came in with the name Pequia marfim.
The pack is labeled 4/4,5/4,6/4. It is mostly 6/4 and maybe some 7/4. The rough price is $5.00 BdFt. This is my suppliers price and you can contact him direct if you like. I would be willing to send samples for serious inquiries from SAPFM members. I would slice off some 1/8" pieces at least 2" wide and about 8" long so I could use a regular envelope.

The attached pictures are not true in color, the background is on a white sheet of paper(90 brightness). The last one seems the truest color on my monitor.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 09:43:50 PM by Woodmolds »
"Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly ever acquire the skill to do difficult things easily.? Friedrich von Schiller (1759-1805)

Woodmolds

• Forum Master
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2010, 09:22:46 PM »
And more

Woodmolds

• Forum Master
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2010, 09:23:15 PM »
And another

Woodmolds

• Forum Master
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2010, 09:23:45 PM »
and another

Woodmolds

• Forum Master
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2010, 09:29:27 PM »
Final

RE: Turkish boxwood - David Keller mentions these sites as a source of Turkish boxwood on Sawmill Creek.

http://www.anexotichardwood.com/index.html
http://www.octopus.com.tr/store/
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 09:41:53 PM by Woodmolds »