Author Topic: An Out Standing Chest  (Read 34166 times)

jacon4

• Forum Master
  • collector/ student of early american furniture
Re: An Out Standing Chest
« Reply #90 on: February 15, 2011, 05:21:59 PM »
OUTSTANDING!

Jeff L Headley

• Forum Master
  • Running a fifth generation cabinetmaking business
    • Mack S Headley & Sons
« Reply #91 on: February 15, 2011, 09:53:09 PM »
Chuck, Nice chest, but really what will make this worth while is when, 60 years from now, your daughter will need help moving this chest. She will think about you.

John McAlister

• Forum Master
  • Period furniture maker as hobby, 40 yrs.
« Reply #92 on: February 15, 2011, 11:42:05 PM »
Chuck,  Nice job. It really looks great.  Are you going to quit your day job?
John McAlister
Textile mfg, 30 yrs. Owner travel agency 10 yrs.
Hobbies other than furniture making include fishing, hunting and tennis. Flew P 51's WWII, 8th Air Force, Europe.

ChuckH

• Forum Journeyman
« Reply #93 on: February 17, 2011, 01:13:03 PM »
Thank you, all, for the kind words.  John, I will admit that there was a time when I considered that path, but at this time in my life I'm looking forward to retiring from my day job.  I could use the same byline as you: Buiding furniture as a hobby for 40 years.

Jeff, thanks again for taking the time to do this thread.

Best regards,
-Chuck
If all else fails, play dead.  -Red Green

Jeff L Headley

• Forum Master
  • Running a fifth generation cabinetmaking business
    • Mack S Headley & Sons
« Reply #94 on: May 20, 2012, 05:34:18 PM »
I have an order for another chest similar to these. Are their any other questions?

BHiggins

• Forum Apprentice
« Reply #95 on: June 05, 2020, 04:47:51 PM »
Hi All,

I am a fledging woodworker and was given a number of magazines and books by an eldery gentelman who is nice enough to mentor me. One of the books was from the Historic Charleston Foundation and contained a photo of this triple chest. It caught my eye. While researching the chest I found out it was also pictured in the three volume set The Furniture of Charleston. Well... while trying to find those books for sale I stumbled across a thread on this forum that detailed where those books could be found. Next thing I know I am reading, reading, and re-reading this thread.

Cant tell you how delighted I am to have found this!!! Thanks to the author for spending the time to detail this build. I look forward to building this (actually already stareted). I feel pretty confident with my ability to make the jointry, but just the size of it, it is the biggest thing I have built so far, will present my small shop some learing lessons. (to big to square it up with my Starrett combination square)

Again, Thanks for the post. This is truly an Outstanding Chest!