Author Topic: What makes a joint?  (Read 6667 times)

pampine

• Forum Master
Re: What makes a joint?
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2010, 09:12:21 AM »
You'd have to pry my compound miter saw out of my cold dead hands, probably the bandsaw and Barnes foot mortiser, too, maybe even the tiny table saw; however, don't kid yourselves that the wood is not affected by rapidly spinning blades and that often coped and stuck "joints" cut by routers fall apart. Burn marks and joinery too burnished to accept glue, anyone?

So, I almost always use hand tools, Japanese ones at that. I'm healthier from lack of noise and sawdust and a modicum of exercise, and I think the wood is healthier and readier for stains and/or glues. But then, I don't do this to convince someone else to part with their money, so an easy choice.

Pam

jacon4

• Forum Master
  • collector/ student of early american furniture
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2010, 10:19:13 AM »
Interesting discussion and one that just took place on Chris's blog a few days ago when i commented on trying to interest my son in taking a traditional woodworking class.

http://blog.woodworking-magazine.com/blog/Why+Do+This+Crap+By+Hand.aspx

Chuck Bender

• Forum Apprentice
  • Professional Period Furniture Maker
    • Charles Bender and Co./The Acanthus Workshop
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2010, 11:16:44 AM »
Jeff,

I'm right there with you, brother. I hear the same things from the antique dealers I work with. The most discouraging thing I hear (and see) is the lack of interest among the younger people of this country. Not sure if you've been doing many shows lately but the average age of the attendees isn't declining. It's a rare thing to see a couple in their 30's or even early 40's wandering a show in search of an education let alone actually buying a piece of furniture.

As to the original question, I always believed that the professional would most likely choose to do things by machine until the only way to do them better is by hand. That's why I cut all my dovetails by hand. A machine can do it faster if I was a production shop but faster isn't better. All that being said, I cut my mortises in my Chippendale chairs with a hollow chisel mortiser. I just don't compromise by making the mortises fit the capabilities of the machine. I modify the way the machine works in order to cut the mortises the way they were originally cut. Again, it's a matter of doing by machine until it can only be done better by hand. If there is no structural difference and no shift in design to accommodate the machine, what difference does it really make?

I've never found it hard to find customers willing to pay for the added time and effort to do things properly, whether by hand or machine. Being quite a distance from retirement myself, I am concerned that I may have that trouble in the future. It's refreshing to see guys like Freddy Roman out there. It gives me hope that all is not going to be lost to duct tape and biscuits.

Keep dreaming that dream. It IS a good dream, and if those of us involved with SAPFM keep dreaming that same dream, we might just help make it a reality.
Period Furniture Maker