Author Topic: Rat tail hinges  (Read 6618 times)

hermv2000

• Forum Journeyman
    • Pictures of my projects
Rat tail hinges
« on: September 13, 2009, 10:47:56 PM »
I'm about to start an entertainment cupboard in a fairly simple design and would like to use rat tail hinges, the type with the pennant shaped flat part.

In browsing the web I've found a number of offerings but the prices are a bit shocking, going as high as $85.00 for a pair.  With four doors I'll need four pair but I don't want to take out a loan to buy hinges.

Does anyone know of a reasonably priced source for such hinges?

Thanks,

Herman

jim vojcek

• Forum Master
Re: Rat tail hinges
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2009, 08:01:29 PM »
I was working on a cabinet I saw in Popular Woodworking that called for rat tail hinges.  The best price I found was Horton Brasses for about $78.00.  I found a knock off at Lee Valley for about $45.00.  It might be worth a look.

Good Luck.

Jim Vojcek

Striker

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2009, 11:08:15 PM »
 Several years back I had gotten some from Ball & Ball.  As I recall they were fairly pricey then but then again, they are handmade.  Maybe you can try Etsy.com for blacksmith.

Stephen

Antiquity Period Designs, Ltd.

• Forum Master
  • Professional period furniture maker, - now retired
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2009, 10:58:08 AM »
Keep in mind the hinges from Lee Valley are most likely made overseas and you will get what you pay for.  I would bite the bullet and buy the hinges from Horton Brasses or Ball & Ball.  You will not be sorry with the quality.

How much did all the lumber and finishing material cost?  The hardware can "make or brake" a piece.

Dennis Bork
Antiquity Period Designs, Ltd.
Professional period furniture maker since 1985.  Received a B.S. degree in physics then apprenticed and worked as a wood patternmaker for 12 years. Cartouche recipient 2009. Retired Dec. 2018.

hermv2000

• Forum Journeyman
    • Pictures of my projects
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2009, 11:31:04 PM »
Thanks to all for your replies.

I did a little more searching and found a set at Fisher Forge in PA. for $25.00 a pair.  They look hand forged in the picture.  Anyway I've ordered those.

Herman

msiemsen

• Regional Chapter Coordinator
  • Forum Master
  • Full time woodworker, I sell tall clock movements
    • Green Lake Clock Company
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2009, 11:43:39 PM »
Let us know what you think. I have used his blanket chest hinges. I don't think they are completely hand forged but they looked ok and were in the right price range. They appeared to have been cut out and then hammered. I was happy enough with them.
Mike
Mike Siemsen
Green Lake Clock Company
There are II kinds of people in the world. Those that can read roman numerals and those that can't

cbentzley

• Forum Journeyman
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2009, 06:48:50 AM »
Sorry I'm late to the party. For future applications, check out Michael M. Coldren Company (http://coldrencompany.com/). I used some of their hinges about 10 years ago and they were very nice. Also good folks to work with. I don't remember what they cost.

Craig