Recent Posts

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10
Seating Furniture & Beds / Re: Chippendale arm chairs for dining
« Last post by Jack Plane on March 17, 2021, 05:59:26 PM »
CBWW, this is what I've encountered in the vast majority of 18C English/Irish chairs.
Seating Furniture & Beds / Re: Chippendale arm chairs for dining
« Last post by CBWW on March 17, 2021, 01:58:13 PM »
Ive never seen a period chair that had a round original dowel where the horizontal part of the arm joined the stile or back post.  The horizontal part of the arm usually touches the stile on the front face and side of the post/stile.  Typically there is a notch in the back post that the arm sits into slightly.  A screw was put in from the back of the post into the horizontal arm, then plugged.   
Seating Furniture & Beds / Re: Chippendale arm chairs for dining
« Last post by navman9 on March 17, 2021, 10:27:21 AM »
Thanks, Dennis.  My original idea was to use a long screw to hold the arm and then plug the hole in the back of the leg.  However, I think that your suggestion of using a round tenon on the arm with a wedge to secure it is probably more like what the 18th century chairmakers would have done.  I think  that I will use a round tenon to join the arm and the arm support, as well.  I saw a video of an appraiser looking at an 18th century arm chair and the camera scanned over the joint between the arm and the support and, lo and behold, there was a pin in the joint.  I'm sure that they realized that glue wouldn't be effective to keep that joint stable with the normal use and abuse that the arm of a dining room chair takes.
I Googled "european electrical plugs" then images and found this link:
Hope this helps.

Dennis Bork
Thanks Ken, a European plug/outlet...there are two center posts/prongs....and two outside tabs........I'm assuming the two center prongs would be the two "110" wires and the outside 'tabs' are the ground. I wonder if anybody has done this "conversion" since the company is out of business, no one seems to have any 110v pots in stock and it seems only 220v glue pots are still hanging around....
The Europeans 220V is 50 Hz ours is 60 Hz but for heating elements it does not matter.  If it were an electronic device it would matter.

You should be good, just be careful and do not confuse the return leg with the power leg.

Does anyone know if the plug of a Hold Heet 220v European glue pot can be cut off and rewired with a USA 220V plug either a 20 or 30 amp plug? isn't 220 the same between USA and Europe? I can't believe a small company like Hold Heet would have made completely different winding and electrics ...  .
For many years I also used a double boiler with a hot plate from my local ACE Hardware for $25.
Dennis Bork
That's why I use a cast iron double boiler type glue pot on a hot plate.  When the hot plate fails, easy and cheap to replace.
Veneer and veneering techniques / Re: What do you use for Satinwood inlays?
« Last post by swifty6 on March 12, 2021, 09:34:40 PM »
 Just bought beautiful Satin-Wood veneer from Certainly Woods, and solid plank of Satinwood from Cook Domex has a huge plank of Satinwood.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10