The Society of American Period Furniture Makers

Tools and Techniques => Period design and construction => Topic started by: jrmacdds on February 23, 2019, 03:47:42 PM

Title: Looking Glasses
Post by: jrmacdds on February 23, 2019, 03:47:42 PM
As someone else earlier had asked,I'm curious about how the glass was held in these mirrors, what kind of backs and so forth. I've never seen any details about construction of the reverse. Anyone?
Title: Re: Looking Glasses
Post by: Antiquity Period Designs, Ltd. on February 23, 2019, 05:06:33 PM
I just hand plane a board to approx. 5/16" thick and screw it into a rabbit.

Dennis Bork
Antiquity Period Designs
Title: Re: Looking Glasses
Post by: chrisstorb on February 25, 2019, 12:02:13 PM
If you are talking about typical 18th century British/American looking glasses, the glass lays in the rebate formed by the moulding attached to the frame.  it is held in place with a series of right-angle triangular shaped glue blocks roughly 2 inches long around the perimeter.  One square surface is glued to the frame, the other faces the back. The hypotenuse rests on the glass securing it.  The thin backboards are held in place by nails driven into the frame.