Writing surface

kerry grubb

I am looking for  material for a period correct writing surface for a desk top. I thought it was called "baize", although I may be wrong. I'm thinking the felt like stuff not leather.

Baize is a thin wool felt like material typically used on billiard tables. I have had trouble finding it in the U.S. but found some in London some years back. It was stocked by the materials department of a large department store. I realize this is not much help but it's the best I can do. I may be able to recall the store with a basement search for the bag but I suspect any material stockist in the U.K. could help. Or more likely a billiard repair place could supply it now that I think of it.

I also use the material sold at billiard stores. It comes in several colors and is easy to cut and work with. Mack Headley, from Colonial Williamsburg, told me about this material and this is what they use.

Different subject - when I reply all the icons above this text box are not showing and simply have a "X". Do others see this also?

Dennis Bork
Antiquity Period Designs

Hi to all who are in search of baize.
I am the owner of Londonderry Brasses, Ltd. and I have 26 colors of baize available.
My most popular color is Loden Green, which I had custom dyed to match the soft green color seen on
antique gaming tables and writing surfaces.

The Loden Green is 75% wool, 25 % nylon, 65 inches wide, 20 oz./yard $60/yard

I also have available Red, Camel, Pool Hall Green, Burgundy, Steel Grey, Black Dark Green, Wine, Spruce, Slate, Titanium, Charcoal, Navy, Khaki, Taupe, Mustard, Brick, Gold, Brown, Olive, English Green, Tournament Green, Electric Blue, Marina, Purple.
85% wook, 15% nylon,  65 inches wide, 20 oz./yard $66/yard

I am fine selling less than a yard. But I do try to cut it to 1/4, 1/3, 1/2 etc. of a yard.

I hope this has been of help to anyone in need of baize.
Nancy Cogger Andersen of Londonderry Brasses, Ltd.

A skiver is the split, outer face of a sheepskin. Because skivers are very thin, they make superb writing surfaces, offering just enough 'give' without being too soft and squashy.

Skivers were the first choice for lining bureaux falls etc., but larger partners' desks and writing tables were usually lined with cowhide due to the restrictive size of sheepskins. Large surfaces can be lined with skivers, but it's then necessary to join them and disguise the joins with tooled decoration as in the example below.

Regarding leather and skivers. I also have a source for both and for it to be tooled.
Nancy at Londonderry Brasses, Ltd.
www.londonderry-brasses.com

Jim,

I see X's when I want to reply and I am logged in. All this started happening when the web site was switch over or re-worked.

Web Master: can you fix this?

Dennis Bork

Back