Wood storage

Tom M

My lumber rack is full, and not really that big to begin with, so I'm trying to figure out where to store some boards. I think there are two options.
1) make a lumber rack in the front of the garage (eliminating current space for lawn mower and snow blower.
2) store in the attic above the garage (accessible with pull-down stair)

The attic is nice because there is room, but it does get pretty hot up there in the summer, and freezing in the winter.  It is dry (except for humidity) and pretty clean - there is a ridge vent and side vent. Any concerns with this location? I don't think the attic was intended for bearing such a load, so if I use it I would stack the boards along the edge of the space near a wall.

FYI I'm in Rochester, NY.

(Of course a better solution would be to start some of the 20 or so projects I have in my to do list so the lumber rack would have space ;))
Tom

I would be happy to store lumber for you.  However I do live in Illinois!  I store my lumber in a non heated barn with no problems.  If needed lumber could be stored outside with proper covering. 

Jim Vojcek

I've offered my rack for storage. But in your garage you can build lumber racks on the wall only using the top portion so you can store you lawn mower etc under it. You can probably do this on all sides easy to park a car under etc.

As far as the load in the garage attic space if you stack it so it goes across the rafters instead of along them you spread the weight out quite a bit. There will be more of a point load where your standing than where the wood is stacked. don't go nuts, I'm talking a few hundred board feet, not a few thousand.

Back