The Pennsylvania Spice Box: Paneled Doors and Secret Drawers

dkeller_nc

I obtained a copy of this book through the ILL service of my local public library, and I'm debating whether it's worth my while to set up a copy stand and photograph it so that I can refer to the illustrated pieces later on.

So my question is - how rare is this book, and does it ever come up for sale?  And if so, does anyone have any idea of the market price?

It is very difficult to find and quite expensive when a copy does come available, i.e $150.00 and up.

Dan Santos

Thanks for the info.  Looks like it's worth setting up the copy stand and reserving 5 GB for the scans, though a print copy sure would be nice...

The Chester County Historical Society owns the reproduction rights and has no real plan to reprint it. Kind of dumb if you ask me. they have no copies. If you live in that area maybe you could lean on them to reprint.
Mike

Mike - I've tried to do this with the publisher associated with MESDA, specifically the book "The Furniture of Coastal North Carolina" by John Bivens.  It's a great book about southern colonial furniture that's at the top of the heap when it comes to scholarship and breadth of pieces examined, and since less than a thousand copies were printed, it's rare and harshly expensive to obtain.

However, while the publisher has the rights from the Bivens family, they expressed no interest in reprinting it in an e-mail in response to my inquiries, stating that they felt their resources were better used for newer projects.  However, MESDA has reprinted The Longrifles of North Carolina, also by John Bivens that was even rarer and more expensive than Furniture of Coastal North Carolina, so perhaps they've changed their mind.

In the case of The Pennsylvania Spice Box, I think it could stand revising if it's re-published.  All of the photographs are black and white, and color expresses a lot more information when it comes to antique furniture.  Moreover, many pieces have come to light on the antiques market since the book was published, and would have a place in the timeline the book is organized into.

The spice box book was actually a show catalog. Getting those pieces together for re-photographing would be a big chore. Maybe it is time for a new book.
Mike

Since the photos were presumably taken in the late 80's, I'm betting the original negatives were actually in color, but they were printed in B&W to save money.  If that's the case, the original negatives could be scanned and printed in color for a whole lot less than color printing in 1988.

Heck, if someone at the Chester County Historical Society were willing to do it, I bet they'd raise a heck of a lot of dinero if they re-published the book with color pictures as a pdf download or a cd.  I'd buy one!

Back