Tall Case Clocks

Jeff L Headley

I have been asked to investigate what I think is the best tall case clock made. I have my personal favorites but I was wondering what others choices might be. And I thought it could be fun to see others choices also. Any response would be greatly appreciated.

Jeff, By the best tall case clock made do you mean the best (looking) period piece, or the best current one being made now or the best movement now being made; or exactly what? Having just made one I do have a candidate in mind. (Please, I'm kidding; I'm kidding) But do explain a little more as to what you have in mind.
John McAlister

The Rittenhouse Orrery is probably the coolest movement out there.
http://www.drexel.edu/drexelcollection/decorativearts.asp
Mike

Jeff,

I've always thought that the most visually fascinating clock case is the Montgomery (Pulaski) County, VA clock at Williamsburg. It is a great example of regional inlay work. There is a full-page image on p587 of Southern Furniture 1680-1830 by Hurst and Prown.

I know nothing about movements, but if your talking cases. I would have to say the Townsend clock at the MET. I don't know why but this one really catches my eye, and when I think of which one I want in my house that's always the onw that comes to mind.

And secondly would be pretty much any of the seymours.

Mike,

I too love the Townsend clock and I am thinking of starting that project.  I notice you have a dial that pretty much matches the original in terms of shape and numbering.  I am wondering what processed is used for the gold surrounding the dial and the silver emblem at the top.  Is there a way to get the original look with your dial face?

Thanks,

Brian

Brian,
The dials are brass. The chapter rings are silvered, as is the boss in the arch. It is hand engraved in England. the spandrels are from Londonderry Brasses. Metal can be aged to get the look you want. I would leave it alone and just not lacquer it. It will darken soon enough.
Mike

The Townsend Clock in the Met with the works by James Wady is impressive.  The use of the block shell on the door is the ultimate in Newport design.  However, We know this discussion is something to do while the shellac dries.

My favorite is the James Huston clock in the Dewitt Wallace, also pictured on page 558 of Southern furniture. Iv'e built a half dozen clocks and it is on my list to still build. Great overall proportions on the case, restrained use of carving and moldings. When I get arround to building it I may stray a great deal. I'll probably use figured ample for the case and a painted dial. Not a reproduction at all but use the Huston case as a model due to it's outstanding lines.
I also like the bow front tiger maple clock by Christian Eby in good, better, best. I haven't seen it in person but it it also a wonderful example.

George Walker

I vote for the townsend tall case clock. Did I mention that I am still building three of them. One out of Cuban Mahogany, one out of Honduran Mahogany, and one out of Tiger Maple.
John, I am glad you are doing well after your little visit with the doctor.
Hope to see you in January.

George Madok

John, I guess my question was a little like what is the best wood to build a piece of furniture out of. Structurally most clocks are similar with a few regional characteristics so I guess I was talking about what caught peoples eyes. I was thinking about the case but works also make the clock. I have to say I would love to build the Pulaski County clock and will if I get a chance to. I talked with a fellow SAPFM member during the mid year conference, who will remain nameless and he was wondering how much money we could lose on that clock. All of the other clocks mentioned are exceptional in their own rights and I thank everyone for the response. I do have a fondness for Valley of Viginia clocks. I just thought this would be a fun thing to ponder.

Jeff L Headley said:
I have been asked to investigate what I think is the best tall case clock made...

Jeff, I thought for next year at Marc's you were going to be investigating the best Hunt Table made.  : )

I already have a tall clock, but if you decide on something as magnificent as the Townsend piece, I'll sign up anyway. The more carving, the better.

My best to Steve.

Best, Ted

Ted,
This question wasn't for the Marc Adams class but for another reason. Although, we are planning on doing a clock next year at Marc's and not the huntboard. Just what clock we haven't decided on yet. I hope you don't mind us trying to take care of two projects at one time. I'm trying to be somewhat of a business man. With that said we are again offering the hunboard class at our shop next year.
I am still interested in everyone's opinion as to their favorite clocks and it doesn't have to be a brand name clock. I have seen quite a number of exceptional clocks by unnamed builders and I'm interested in any of your ideas.
Again thanks for everyones input. 

Jeff,
As you probably know most clock cases are made by unknown builders. The clockmaker made or supplied the movement and someone local cased it. Many movements and dials were imported from England and fitted to cases here. There are many fantastic cases, some on clocks made by Godschalk or Rose come to mind. I find that people's tastes run to regional differences. You mention the Valley of Virginia. Clocks take on a local flavor and like the home team get local support.
There really isn't a good reference for clock cases that I know of and worse yet for dials. Maybe we should try to narrow down a favorite style of clock case first, Chippendale or Federal? Arch, broken arch, flat, gooseneck, or sarcophagus top?
I wonder if this topic should be moved to the Clocks section?
Mike Siemsen

There is a British author, Brian Loomas who has written a number of titles on clocks. His book "Painted Dial Clocks 1770-1870" contains a lot of information about late 18th early 19th century tall case clocks, including regional styles, dating clocks by either the dial face decoration as well as clock case construction. His focus is on clocks coming out of Great Britton it pretty much reflects what was happening here in the US. Again he doesn't go into specifics on great American clocks but you can get a good historical perspective on what was being made and what trends were driving the designs. The ISBN 1 85149 183 X

George Walker

Brian Loomes also wrote Brass Dial Clocks.  His perspective is pretty much on Great Britain. He does show a few clocks for the Americas. the books focus is on the dials. What we need is "Great Tall Clock Cases of North America, Photographs and Measured Drawings" Aaarrrrgh!
Mike

Mike, When will you start writing "Great Tall Clock Cases of North America, Photographs and Measured Drawings"?? I'd like to reserve a copy now! Autographed of course!!
John McAlister

Somewhat delayed, but still worthy of a vote...  my favorite clock, the James Doull clock at the Metropolitan in NYC cased by J & T Seymour.  The Met has conveniently put it on their web site: http://www.metmuseum.org/special/american/ad1998.12.R.htm

In my article in the 2006 American Period Furniture, I gave a partial  list of some of the few measured drawings and plans available.  I know I missed the Carlyle Lynch plans and I'm sure several others.

The Brian Loomis books are excellent (there are many), as is Derek Roberts "British Longcase Clocks" and Tom Robinson "The Longcase Clock."  Unfortunately, these are all very British-centric.

I agree that Mike or someone should write a book on the good North American tall case clocks.  I would be happy to help draw them up, but thus far the major museums have miserly with allowing access.

Best regards - andrew

Jeff and others--

What will be your source for the movement and dial? Will you use a tube movement such as Kieninger or Hermle?

Best, Ted

Back