Source for Mahogany

turner

The following is the body of an email sent to me by a friend. It may be worth a group buy as delivery is only $50-75 from Chicago.

David Turner

It was very nice to meet with you yesterday. After going through our stock I have provided pricing and current availability on our Fiji Mahogany.

5/4 Fiji Mahogany Prime (Rgh)

288bf – 11-13’ Lengths

943bf – 10-11’ Lengths

580bf – 8-10’ Lengths

$7.15/bf Net Tally

8/4 Fiji Mahogany Prime (Rgh)

139bf – 7-8’ Lengths

797bf – 13-19’ Lengths

1,263bf – 10’ Lengths

744bf – 11’ Lengths
$7.00/bf Net Tally

Here's a link to what Fiji mahogany is:  http://thefijimahogany.com/

Jay Houghton

David, is this Swietenia macrophylla ?  Is this commercially available or is it from a friend? 

Jim Vojcek

I feel the need to offer a word of caution...
I have an architectural millwork business and have been using Fiji mahogany ( which is supposedly sweitenia macrophyllia) It has been marketed to us by our wholesaler as a substitute for Spanish cedar.

Our experience is that it is not the same as genuine mahogany.  It is not as dense. and while sometimes you may get fairly nice lumber that would be fine for furniture work, You are just as likely to get material that is "Ratty" (we recently  had a 300 ft pack of 8/4 that we could not get a single door stile ( 1 3/4 X 5 X 84} out of because of kinks, checks and fuzzy grain.)  By the same token I have seen packs that yeilded nice flat consistent textured boards.

I would encourage you to not buy it sight unseen.

As Dale indicated, it is the real stuff. It was apparently grown from original mahogany seeds. It is a commercial co. in Chicago that has a truck that regularly travels with deliveries. My friend, Jay Houghton, who passed the information to me provided a small sample off of a 8/4' x 8" x 8' board he had shipped. It looks pretty nice but as indicated, others purchasing this have received inconsistent lumber. Jay is presently ordering 100 BF and therefore we will get a better feel for the quality. Jay did tell me that if the order was $1000 or more, the delivery was only $50. If less than $1000, then the delivery was $75.

David Turner
Plymouth, MI.

Can you tell me the name of the company in Chicago?  I live near there and may be able to look at the material. 

Jim Vojcek

Back