Shaker Chair Legs

rwlasita

I have to ask this. I have been looking at drawings to build a Shaker rocker and side chair in a book by Robert Sonday (very nice Shaker examples) and both examples have 46” back legs. My lathe is 36” center to center, a Rikon with the extension, so finally the question. How can I make a 46 long leg? Do you make two halves and tenon it together? Or I don't and look at something else to build :) I'm sure they are out there but I haven't seen a lathe that will take a length that long.  I'm a better cabinet maker than a turner but really enjoy that style and would like to build these chairs, Thanks, Rick

Rick- It's actually pretty easy to make an extension for your lathe. I've used a piece of 8/4 stock bolted to the ways with a couple of pieces clamped onto the sides of it to support an end block into which I've threaded a lag bolt ground to a point for the tail. You can drill a large hole and slip your usual tailstock into it if you want.
A lathe is a very basic tool, so this stuff doesn't have to be high-tech You dont have to get your tool rest out to the end of your extension, just turn the piece around so it's over the original bed and turn the rest.
Making a joint in the leg in order to use your existing lathe is not a solution. The physics of a chair are delicate enough as it is- it would fail at the joint.-Al

You can buy turned dowels 48" long in most diameters, which would only leave the top portion to finish. Or are they tapered full length?

Thanks for the tips, I will look in to the extension idea. As for the pre made dowels, they are taped almost the entire length but with the extension idea, it would perhaps save some time. Thanks again

I did Petty much the same thing Al did.  Made an extention for an old Sears lathe.  Worked fine.

Jim Vojcek

I also have a spokeshave that is wonderful. Actually I have several. But I have this one, that is a little curved sole kunz,( that I swear was like only 6 dollars new), it seems to cut like magic. I have used it for 15 or 20 years, and I think Mr Headley could be right, that might be the easiest way to cut it. I know the curved sole isn't the right tool for this job, but I almost always use it anyway. I know this is not the way you are leaning, but you might think about it.

Thanks Jeff, Jim, Mike, I have a couple of spoke shaves and will give that idea a try on some scrap lengths. I have been shifting  more and more to hand tools so this is a natural progression. I used my spoke shaves on some chairs I recently made for my son's dining room to fair the curve on the back legs. Thanks for the tops.  Rick

firstlightwoodworking.blogspot.com

Rick- Spokeshaves and scrapers do work really well for shaping , but you need to turn the finial, so try extending the lathe. If you're worried about the sturdiness of the extension you can always rig a spring pole to drive it at low speed and get a fine turning-Al

Rick,

I asked the same question when I was building a bed.  (see thread at http://www.sapfm.org/forum/index.php?topic=80.0 ).  My final solution was to extend the lathe.  The lathe extension plans and picture were included in that thread.

The biggest difference between our projects is the size of the turning stock.  I was using 16/4 and you are spinning a dowel.  The harmonic vibrations generated when shaping the shaker leg are going to be a real issue for you.  You will need to add a steady rest to your setup.

Cheers,
David

Thanks David, I am going to purchase another extension for the Rikon, I understand I can bolt another one to the existing one. Also, would send your email address to [email protected] ?  I am moving back to Cincinnati from Jackson, TN when I retire and would like to know more about the Ohio Valley Chapter.  Thanks, Rick 

Hmmmm, 46"? That seems a bit long for a Shaker side chair. I just got a Canterbury NH tilter with a cane seat at auction and its just 41" from the floor to top of finials.

It is interesting sometimes how a project takes different turns and twists.
Over the years I have done projects and do use power tools for most of them because of the lack of knowledge of hand tools and I have already purchased the power tools. I have found though that sometimes if you are not going to mass produce the item such as a chair leg it is a lot quicker and easier and more satisfying to use the traditional method.  Although you would have the extension for your lathe for future uses it would be quicker to use the spoke shave when you consider how much time its going to take to modify your lathe.    Good luck,
                                                              Michael

Back