Secretary - open

Beautiful!!! Great Job!!! Looks like a lot of mahogany.  If you don't mind me asking how long did it take to complete and what was your choice of finish.

Fred

Freddy,

It was about a 4 month project but I did a few orders in between. The finish is aniline dye, one coat of dark garnett shellac followed by many coats of water base varnish.

Dennis Bork

Beautiful work Dennis.  Any chance you could post a few more pics of the details?  Where do you find your mahogany?  Cal

I will take some close-up photos but if they do not turn out okay (without setting up the photo lights) I may not post them. The Mh was all purchased locally. Most, if not all, I bought 10+ years ago when it was cheap. I was hording Mh, especially super wide boards.

Dennis Bork

Being a newbie here I just noticed the back boards on the upper case running horizontal. Is that typical and I've been living in the dark?

If you run the back boards horizonal it keeps the verticle sides of the case from bowing outward.

Dennis Bork

Antiquity said:
If you run the back boards horizonal it keeps the verticle sides of the case from bowing outward.

Dennis Bork

Was and is this typically done? The principal makes sense to me. I never noticed this before.

The photo I copied had the back boards running in this direction. No matter what direction they are running I prefer to run them horizontally to avoid the sides from bowing out. I make each piece so it does not come back for repair!

Dennis Bork

Another reason to run the back horizontally is to match the grain orientation to the base. Desk interiors are easier to finish when the back is off. This way you only have to remove one board.

Back