SAPFM-ORV 2022 Spring Meeting, March 12-13 at Little Miami Handworks - Hands-on

David Conley

SAPFM – ORV Chapter,

1)    I sent out the instructions for the Fan Carving and tool list in a previous email.

2)    In order for everyone take home a working spoke scraper from Sunday’s class:

a.    I will make scraper kits with pre-installed threaded inserts and screws for the cap plate. 

b.    I need to know how many kits to make up.  So, along with your RSVP, I also need to know if you want a kit.  I think the cost of the kits will be less than $5. 

c.    Tools needed: dovetail or dozuki saw, sharp ¼” bench  chisel, 1” to 2” wide bench chisel for making the plane bed cuts (or even better, a wide plane maker’s float or a course mill file used for the flattening), (small) drawknife, flat spokeshave, rounded bottom spokeshave or card scraper, pencil, Phillips #2 screwdriver, X-Acto like marking knife, knife like marking gage.,

3)    We have a group reservation at the Home2 Suites in Centerville, OH.  The cutoff date for the hotel is February 13, 2022.  It should be active in the next day or so.

4)    Will do City Barbeque again.  About $10 each.

5)    Don’t forget to send me a RSVP email for the 1) meeting, and 2) if you need a spoke scraper kit.

Cheers,
David

Society of American Period Furniture Makers
Ohio River Valley Chapter
Proposed AGENDA

SATURDAY, March 12, 2022

1. Open doors at 10:00am
Arrive, relax, have some coffee

2. Introductions and Show & Tell, 11:00am – 12:00pm
The “show and tell” is an ice breaker.  Please bring anything you would like to show off.  If you have a special piece, a project or even a jig, please bring them.  For those who haven’t attended a previous meeting, this is a quick introduction, a display of your skills, interests, projects both past and present, jig, etc. It can even be a request for help in a particular area. After we go around the room, we will break for 30 min. During this break, you can seek out the other members who have similar interest and/or have already built a project/jig you want to build. This break will give you the opportunity to meet and establish a new friendship, pick their brains, and continue communicating with them after the meeting. This is extremely helpful for highly specialized niches, like inlays, marquetry, carving, Bombay chest, etc.

2a) Introductions and Show & Tell, 11:00 - 11:30am
    Name, where you live, your past and present projects, classes, and/or your particular interest and your Show & Tell item if you brought one. …

2b) Break to discuss Show & Tell one-on-one, 11:30am-12:00pm
  Also, we will have another swap meet.  If you've got something to sell or trade, please bring it. 

3. Lunch, 12:00 – 1:00pm 

4. Demonstrations 1:00pm to 5:00pm
  Hands-on: Carving a Fan led by Dave Boeff
            Suggested Tools list:

SUNDAY, March 13, 2022

Breakfast (on your own)

5. Demonstrations 8:30am – 12:00pm
  Hands-on: Making a Spoke Scraper led by David Conley

6. Wrap-up, 12:00 - 12:30pm

Little Miami HandworksAddress: 
26 East Franklin St.
Bellbrook, Ohio 45305
937-307-6634

HOTEL ARRANGEMENTS (10 minutes from shop)
Home2 Suites By Hilton Dayton/Centerville, Ohio
5161 Cornerstone North Boulevard, Centerville, Ohio 45440
Group Name: SAPFM
Group Code:  ,  Rate: $ 129.00 + tax (13.5 %)
Toll Free # to call to reserve: 1-937-988-0050
Cut-off date to reserve: Cut off  Feb 13, 2022.

Cancellation Policy:  48hrs advance notice

Thanks,
David

Back