Resawing veneer

john previti

Recently I was resawing some high figure mahogany.  I was afraid to go any thinner than 1/16 but when I went to glue it to the concave curved surface of the drawer it gave me trouble.  Also another face was serpentine with 2 curves.  After trying to plane, scrape it thinner with out success I had a brainstorm. I believe if you curse inventively enough an idea will come to you! I cut a piece of cheap hacksaw blade to 2& 1/2 " long screwed it to a home made draw handle shaped like a Y.

The Top of the Y is solid and has the hacksaw blade screwed to it.  The teeth of the blade just projects, about 1/32" .  I pulled and pushed this all along the surface till its covered with 1/32" deep scratches.  Then I scrape it down till all the scratches are gone and I am  now down to 1/32 " thick.  The toothing made it very easy to scrape.  It made the veneer flexible enough to take the curved shape easily when hammer veneered.  This worked great on highly figured stuff that I couldn't get thinner any other way.  Try it folks!

That is exactly what a toothing plane is designed for. It certainly works well and takes the anguish out of working highly figured material.

Jack, saw your blog with info about veneer pins. I never knew about them or that they were us so extensively in the old days.  On my current project, the edges keep peeling up and I would clamp down with various things.  I thought it was just do my general incompetence.  As I still have some more to do I will try using some pins.  Thanks for the idea!

john previti said:
Jack, saw your blog with info about veneer pins. I never knew about them or that they were us so extensively in the old days.  On my current project, the edges keep peeling up and I would clamp down with various things.  I thought it was just do my general incompetence.  As I still have some more to do I will try using some pins.  Thanks for the idea!
Let us know how you get on.

Back