Question Bombe Chest Drawer Face Interior?

dboeff

I am building a bombe chest similar to the one that John Davis built in the E-Interview Series. My question is: what to do with the inside of the drawer faces. Should they be cut down to reduce the thickness and follow the serpentine fronts. If so, what thickness is suggested.

The insides are sculpted to match the drawer fronts side-to-side only. The thickness averages about an inch on the upper drawers and is a little thicker at the center of the bottom drawer. The attached photo of a bottom drawer may help clear up my explanation.

Craig

Attachments

• image0001.jpg
    image0001.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 105
Craig, your picture nicely shows the other fun thing about these drawers, namely the lock plate is bent at an obtuse angle and its different for each drawer. The lock mortise is also beveled on the drawer blades. What did you do to the drawer sides and bottom to achieve the color?
John

John,

This is a piece that Bob Whitley built. When I asked him what he used to "age" the secondary woods he told me he either used dilute water stains or potassium permanganate and a heat gun.

Craig

Craig,

Do you know if the front elev of a bombe slant top desk can be derived from your drawing? Or, in other words, is the desk essentially like a chest having plumb sides extending up to a writing surface? Do you suppose there would or should be any difference in depth between a chest and a desk? I'm getting awfully tired of tripping over this 31" W x 11' L slab of 12/4 but haven't decided which route to take.

Mark,

There is a bombe desk that John Cogswell made for Thomas Armory, Jr. (see attached photos) that is similar to the Gardiner Greene bombe. It is 1-1/4" wider than the chest but shallower by 1-1/16". The height of the chest is 31-7/8" and the desk is 42-3/4". Based on this quick evaluation, it would seem that the plans could be adapted for your purpose. If you'd like to kick it around, contact me off forum. BTW - Thanks to you and Margaret for your work on getting the newsletter out.

Craig

Attachments

• 09M.jpg
    09M.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 54
  • 10M.jpg
    10M.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 49
Mark, Craig,
I have some interior and exterior photos and a few measurements of the Barrell  Bombe desk and bookcase made by Cogswell. I by no means have enough info to reproduce it because I simply had the same curiosity as Mark when I was working on the bombe chest. If/when you get into it, I might be able to uncover them and at least give you a few bits of helpful info.
John

Back