Pulls for Butler's Drawer

Ronnie Young

I am nearing completion of a Thomas Elfe Double Chest. I chose to make the lower drawer in the top section of the chest into a Butler's Drawer with a fold down drawer front that becomes a writing surface. The drawer contains a pigeon hole insert with small drawers, dividers, and a central lockable small door. The drawer hardware is brass rosette pulls with bail. They are attached to the drawer fronts with threaded posts and nuts. The drawer front hinges and brass quadrant stays are also attached. If I drill the holes for the pulls through the drawer front, I will have four posts and nuts sticking through the back of the drawer front which becomes a writing surface.  I've never seen an original butler's drawer front so I have no idea how this problem was originally over come. My options seem to be countersinking the post and nut below the writing surface, or changing from a threaded post and nut to a machine screw fitting post such as found on modern furniture. These would still need to be countersunk below the surface. Any other suggestions? Thanks-Ron

I would just counter sink and plug the holes with some of the wood used in the drawer front.Beautiful piece by the way.

Back