Plans for Bombe Chest of Drawers measured at the Toledo Museum of Art

edstuckey

I have just completed a set of plans for a Bombe Chest of Drawers that I recently measured at the Toledo Museum of Art. It is a beautiful piece. The procedure for obtaining the plans will be different than for the clock. The museum requires a signed release form before I can distribute the plans. After completion of the form, I will e-mail the plans to members who are interested. I also have many detailed photographs of the chest that need to be sent on a CD.
The plans are in PDF format ( 10 E+ size sheets), plus a PDF file of the 3D model which can be opened up in Acrobat reader 9.0.  The model can be rotated and different parts turned on and off to see the construction details. The chest dates from 1760-80 from the Boston area.
Since the museum was very kind in letting me measure the chest, I have decided to allow members who wish a copy of the plans to donate $20 to the museum. Let me know what you think of this idea.
Only current SAPFM members will be allowed to receive the plans.
I have tried to attach a photo of the chest, I hope it works.
Ed Stuckey

Attachments

• Bombe Chest of Drawers.jpg
    Bombe Chest of Drawers.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 112
Ed
  I too think the Bombe Chest plans are a good idea.  Please also count me in.  Thanks for all your work!  You are a great asset to SAPF.

Jim

Ed,

What a magnificent gesture!  I know it took many hours of hard work.  Thank you very much.
I would be happy to make such a donation  to obtain a set of these plans.  Count me in.

Norman Landry

I am interested as well. My only question is where do I get the form and where do I send the donation?

-Tim

Thank you everyone for the response. I have a permission form from the museum for members to complete. I have to get one detailed resolved before I can send them to you.
Once that is done, members can e-mail me and I will send them the form and who to make the check out to, probably the Toledo Museum of Art, but I am checking into that. I should have an answer latter today.
You will have to send  the signed form back to me. There are 2 ways to do this. First send it to my home address which I will give members who e-mail me. 2nd, scan the completed form and e-mail it to me. I will forward them to the museum.
The pictures present another problem. Their is a total of 58. I have photoshop so I can reduce the image size to about 120K for each pictures and still retain image quality. I can then place them in folders and Zip them to reduce the folder size to less than 1 meg. I will need to know if you have a highspeed internet connect. If you have a dial up service I will probably have to send a CD to those members. You will have to pay for shipping.
Mark Arnold e-mailed me last night and asked if would put a picture of one of the drawings on the forum. I have attached 2 pictures.
Norman, you are right, I have about 120 hrs into this project.

The picture of the chest is the actual 3D model. The color is for modeling purposes only.
I have to post one picture at a time. Size restriction.
Ed

Attachments

• Chest Sample.jpg
    Chest Sample.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 112
I have resolved the issues with the Toledo museum, so those who wish the plans can contact me by email. I will send the permission form, which you can fill out. It must be returned to me because I must sign it also and send it to the museum. In the email I will give you an address as where to send the $20 donation or you send it to me with your form and I will forward both to the museum.
The permission form is by their request not mine.
My address is [email protected]
This project started when the Great Lakes and Ohio chapters got together for a tour of the Wintethur exibit organized by Jim Crammond. I ask the curator Steve Nowak if I could get permission to measure some American pieces in the Toledo collection and he said yes.
I also presented the idea of have an exihibition of period reproduction furniture built by SAPFM members and he was receptive. I will follow up on this later this month when I give a set of plans of the chest for their archives.

Ed

There are several members who indicated they would like the plans before I had everthing all set. Would those members please email at [email protected] so I can send you the permission form and other information.
Thanks,
Ed
PS. The process is going fine, I have already received a few signed forms and have sent the plans.
These members need to contact me.
Dan Santos
John Grandestaff
Steve B
Freddy Roman

I don't know when I might get to this project, but this is too good to pass up.  Thank you for this most generous offer.

-Chuck

Back