Phila Highchest Leg Details

FJDUFF

Hi All,

I'm starting to build a Phila highchest and have several questions concerning the design of the leg.  Prior to this posting i have read the earlier Forum posting related to this topic.  In addition, the folks at CW were extremely generous in permitting me to make some measurements of the Clifton-Carteret piece.  I did measure the foot to be 3-in square and the leg to be 15.5-in. tall.  I found this size very pleasing and intend to go with that size for my piece.

I have two questions:

1. When one draws a leg for a Phila highchest and wants to employ the rules of classical proportions in the design, how many modules are appropriate?  I feel that I need this answer to properly locate the apex of the knee.  I failed to make this measurement on site.  Scaling from several photographs that I took suggests six modules.  That places the apex of the knee slightly less than 2 and 5/8 in. down from the top of the leg (1 module).  That looks right, but I'd appreciate learning what others have done.

2 I've produced several B&C chair feet using the construction techniques taught by Gene Landon.  Gene's dimensions apply to a chair leg that is 2 and 3/4 -n. square.  Can I simply scale up the construction dimensions (ball height, knuckle location and position, etc.) to carve the 3-in. ball?

Since it is my intent to produce a piece that is not an exact copy of any particular antique, I do have some flexibility to adjust my design to achieve the most pleasing results.  Having said that, I certainly don't want to put 1000 hours into a piece that gives regrets every time I look at it.  Accordingly, I welcome and would appreciate all of your advice, comments, and help on these matters.

I do intend to first produce a sample leg to study the proportions in 3D before I commit the final design to walnut.

Thanks

Frank Duff

Back