oxbow chest-on-chest detail

mikemcgrail

There is an oxbow chest on chest(attributed there to Benjamin Frothingham) I am interested in someday reproducing, easiest to see a photograph of it on page 122 of "The New Fine Points of American Furniture" by Albert Sack. The same piece can be seen larger in a Donald Sack advertisement in the May 1988 "Magazine Antiques". I am particularly interested in someday getting a good close photo of the upper termination of each scrollboard mold carving-looks like a sunflower maybe with some extra foilage pointing off towards the case sides. I am fairly certain that a similar example was once(1960's or 70's) at the Ford Museum, but I cannot easily tell if it is still there. With such a large and diverse group here, I am very hopeful someone can help me out. I am not going to undertake this soon, but it is on my list(I would prefer not to use the term bucket list). Ihave built a related blockfront chest-on chest, but  the blockfront original did not have this carved detail. For the curved oxbow, I think that extra embellishment would really help the piece sing.
Thanks. Mike

Back