Nov. 1st meeting

marymaycarving

This is written by Ben Hobbs. Just forwarding it if anyone is interested.

It is getting close to our fall meeting for the Tidewater chapter of SAPFM on Nov. 1 so I wanted to give a little more information about it.    We will not waste your time, and we have a full day planned.  Fortunately for us, Mary May will be here to demonstrate at least 3 carvings  that are part of the Thomas White desk.  The desk was made here in Perquimans County, NC in 1760 for one of my ancestors.  As many of you have already seen, the desk is very much in the Newport, RI style meaning that the maker, Thomas White, must have had some training there.  To see the carvings you can go to http://www.mesda.org/collections/furniture_sprite/mesda_deskthomas_sprite.html or to my website. 

We will also look at my finished Thomas White desk and another  one being constructed.  If time permits, we will tour some of our buildings on site.  We have 16 of them ranging from around 1750 to 1840.    As you well know, the buildings and their furnishings go well together.

For lunch,  my brother (who does a great job) will roast a pig and feed us with all of the trimmings.  We expect that to cost about $15.  Please let me know as soon as you can if you are coming so we can prepare accordingly. 

Mary May is also teaching a 2 day class before the meeting on carving the Edenton claw feet.  Since I have trouble practicing just to be practicing,  the materials will consist of 4 leg blanks with 4 rails  in mahogany suitable for a stool.  The cost of the c lass is $200 and the materials will be about $100.  To get at look at the Edenton leg and foot go to  http://digicoll.library.wisc.edu/WebZ/FETCH?sessionid=01-33206-665945558&recno=31&resultset=2&format=F&next=html/nffull.html&bad=error/badfetch.html&&entitytoprecno=31&entitycurrecno=31&entityreturnTo=brief  or the cover of the 2011 SAPFM journal which pictures one that I made.  We are planning for a class of 12 so let us know soon.

Looking forward to seeing you soon.  Many thanks for your response. 
Ben

Back