Norris Pre-WarII Dovetailed Panel Plane - Withdrawn

dkeller_nc

For Sale - Norris #1 Pre-War Dovetailed Panel Plane, 13.5" long X 2-7/8" wide, 2-1/2" blade in superior condition. The infill is brazilian rosewood. Other than a slight bit of roughness to the top of the front tote, the woodwork is in good condition, with the original finish. There are no breaks or repairs to the wood or metal. The steel has about a nickel-sized area of light to medium pitting on the right front side wall (visible in picture), and the sole has a couple of small stained areas (they are not pitted and will easily lap out if you choose). Otherwise, the steel is in superior condition - most of these planes from this era are heavily pitted and rusty.

The plane has its original Norris cap iron. I have very carefully fitted a Hock A2 infill blade to this plane. I bought the iron over-thickness and carefully flattened the back and removed material until the blade fits with about a 3 thousandths of an inch mouth - it will take incredibly fine shavings. The Norris-marked blade is a properly-fitting post-war replacement marked "Norris, London" on the front side and "Robert Sorby" on the back; it is near original full length, is not pitted, and is sharp and ready to go. Using this blade in the plane will give you a more open mouth for general use, or a Norris-marked iron for shelf display.

$1200 (reduced from original asking price of $1300) for the plane and 2 blades, which represents about a $400 loss, not counting the purchase price of the Hock A2 infill blade and the 2 days of work to fit it to the plane This is your chance to get one of the best British infill planes ever produced in superior condition at a considerably reduced price over what a dealer would charge or you could buy at an auction, and a couple of thousand dollars less than you would pay for a similar plane from one of today's modern infill makers.

Additional images provided upon request; the attached pictures are the maximum that the SAPFM forums classifieds will let me upload.

Payment is by check, money order or PayPal. The price includes shipping by USPS parcel post in the continental 48 states. I will pack carefully, double-boxed, but insurance if you so desire is extra. Money order will ship immediately upon receipt; checks must clear (this may take up to 10 business days, depending on which bank the check is drawn).  I will eat the PayPal fees, should someone wish to pay by this method.

Attachments

• Norris #1 Panel Plane.jpg
    Norris #1 Panel Plane.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 27
  • Norris #1 Panel Plane Lever Cap.jpg
    Norris #1 Panel Plane Lever Cap.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 13
  • Norris #1 Panel Plane Sole and Mouth.jpg
    Norris #1 Panel Plane Sole and Mouth.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 14
  • Norris #1 Panel Plane Right Side.jpg
    Norris #1 Panel Plane Right Side.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 21
Picture of the Left Side of the plane and the Norris-Marked iron.

Attachments

• Norris #1 Panel Plane Left Side.jpg
    Norris #1 Panel Plane Left Side.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 15
  • Norris #1 Panel Plane Norris Iron.jpg
    Norris #1 Panel Plane Norris Iron.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 10
OK, Gentlemen.  Last chance on with an "After Christmas Clearance" price.  I've reduced this to $1050 including both blades and shipping to anywhere in the lower 48.  If there are no takers, I'll withdraw it and put it back in the shop.

Back