New source for hollows and rounds

HSteier

I thought I saw a new manufacturer of wooden molding planes, hollows and rounds etc. mentioned on this forum or at the FWW website. I now can't find it. Did anyone else notice this or have I finally become delusional in my pursuit of the perfect set of hand tools?

Howard Steier

Todd Herrli has been making molding planes using cherry for some time. He laminates three pieces of cherry together to make one blank. Over the time I've had a few of his planes (7 or 8 years) they seem fine to me: no movement to speak of. As for wear, since most molding planes are used by hobbyists and probably get very little use, I suspect the user will wear out long before the plane will.

Howard Steier

This man just bought  a bunch of beech from my saw mill buddy Paul Leito.  So he should be making some out of Beech soon.

FR

Regarding the stability/wear characteristics fo cherry as wooden planes, my take on it is that one would not likely notice much difference from beech, so long as the grain is straight and the blank was quarter-sawn.  Many of the antique planes on the collector's market that were made by craftsmen are of cherry.  Of those that I've owned or examined, I've not noticed more/less issues with twisted stocks or excessively worn examples made of cherry.

Back