new book and exhibit

john previti

Hi Adam,
    I just wanted to check in with you about the saw thing.  We have the core 4 that are interested so far.  Myself, Wally, Rich Nimitz, and Jim Chesterson.  Rich and Jim live in Nj probably near you.  If you wish to pick a day in your schedual and a spot that in your opinion would be best I could put that out there and see if we get more responses.
    2 other things  I am thinking about visiting the peabody essex museam to check out the Sam McIntire exhibit.  There is actually something coming up this weekend or in January.  Wally and I did a day trip up to the Historical society in Hartford a year or 2 ago for the exhibit of Chapins stuff and picked up the new book they put out.  Phil Lowe is doing something this weekend there.  Its on the attachment.  My wife surprised me with the exhibit book, thats how I even knew how to look.
    The other  is a book by Allen Marx,  about Furniture restoration etc.  Check on half.com.  I ordered one for myself.

John,

I would think that group of guys wouldn't be uncomfortable in my shop.  Do you agree?  If we do it there, we can take advantage of the anvil and post vices so we can practice planishing comfortably. 

What I'd like to do is focus on things that will be useful for saw makers or saw users.  We could start with a quick talk about the links between 18th c saw design, saw tooth geometries and saw technique.  Then cover planishing, brass work, quickly go thru handle making, and then saw sharpening.  That way guys can take those skills home with them to refurb old saws or make new- same skills.  If you want to do something different, I mean, its just us, we can punt.  I would think this would take the better part of an afternoon.  Its up to the group, but my preference would be that, having met these particular characters, every body have a chance to do it all, as opposed to watching and hearing a bunch of blah blah blah.

I don't know when you were thinking of getting together.  My vote would be to wait until after the Designer-Craftsman show, which I think is the weekend after the Wmsburg conference.  So maybe February?  Let me know what you think (anyone).

Adam

Adam,  I think the timing is good.  After the holidays and the williamsberg thing.  I usually go up to NYC for the americana weekend.  Sotheby's has a big auction with a lot of antiques then also.  Can I bring a couple small saws to get sharpened?  Also I can bring a load of old planes for you to pick to equal up to a new one for me!  I think 4 guests would work at your place .  We can go out to lunch etc.  If more decide to attend we can think about relocating.  Planishing is scraping the body of the saw, right?
John P

Back