Gate-leg Table

rlord

Second Try. I thought I had posted? Received the journal yesterday and read the Gate-leg article. We have one given to us by my wife's grandmother who told us she was given it by her mother. It is from Kentucky and the four photos attached show it is wide cherry, gate leg hinge is pegged and turnings do not match journal drawings. Any information on this piece appreciated.

This table is a nice table. But it is not considered a gate leg table but just a drop leaf table. from the turnings I would say 1840 to 80. Look at the edges of the drop leaves are there rectangular pieces of wood on the edges of the drop leaves. If so than this is a center section of a larger table. The rectangular pieces I am asking about are tell tails signs of alignment pins. Walnut?

Thanks for the information. The table does not have the alignment pins so it must be as it is a complete table. I am presently making a slant top desk from Kentucky black walnut. The wood had been in the in-laws barn for many many years. The color or the wood is much more reddish in hue than walnut I have bought here in New England. Could very well be Walnut. I do enjoy looking at it.

Back