fonts

kerry grubb

Some time ago there was some info on historic fonts. I have been searching through the forum with no luck. Correct me if I'm wrong but it may have been Dennis Bork that recommended said site. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks Kerry

The Walden font company has a great selection and I think is what you want. They are great to work with and recently provided me a free update to work with my updated sofware.

http://www.waldenfont.com/

Good luck.

I looked at the Walden Font Company selection of type faces and found them rather lacking. Most of the choices have look to have been scanned from badly printed sources, and 20th century revisions at that. Of the faces offered in their 18th century selection are Ancient Black, a blackletter that's not too bad; an early 20th version of Caslon, a rather poor and distressed version; Webster, a very distressed version of some early unnamed and completely undistinguished 19th century face. The roundhand is is acceptable, and the ornament selection surprisingly interesting, although again very beat up.

For historically accurate type faces I would recommend ITC's "Founders Caslon" first cut in 1724, and used widely in colonial America (on the Declaration of Independence for example), and for the later 18th century, Linotype Monticello, Baskerville from the Storm Type Foundry, or the beautiful Monotype Bell. An excellent script is Snell Roundhand.

To my mind, using distressed types would be like finishing off your furniture with a last whip of the chain, although I would be interested in other opinions.

Wesley B. Tanner

You might consider finding someone with a letterpress. That would support someone trying to keep another lost art alive and would be a true reproduction. Finding someone with the right typeface and price might be tough though. Especially if you only need one piece printed.
Mike

Mike is correct, if you'd like to meet up with a craft who's number in is the low hundreds worldwide, find a letterpress printer. But make sure they will print from lead type, not photoengraved plates, or the font issue remains the same. If you want a nice label for your furniture 'tho, this would be the way to go. Order a hundred copies, and you'll be set; then the individual cost wouldn't seem so onerous. Period correct practitioners take note!

It would appear that John Townsend kept three lines of tied-up type to print his own labels with. Each example is slightly different. Caslon, by the way.

Wesley

Back