Fluting in tapered bed post

rhram

I am going to make a four poster bed with tapered and fluted posts.  The taper starts at 4 1/2 inches and tapers down to 2 1/2 inches.  does anyone know of the technique to make the flutes?  The flutes would be wider at the bottom than the top and I suspect the depth of cut would be about the same.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Raul

Build yourself a platform to capture the post, center( if you can't do this in your lathe) to center and scrape your flutes from the side with a block holding your scraper.

Raul- Like Jeff, I scrape mine also. I make a box with no top, essentially 2 rails, and center the turning in the box, either on the lathe or on the bench. Make a block to hold the scraper, center the turning, as Jeff said, then scrape the reeds or flutes. The width of the flutes doesn't usually change, just the space between them, and this will happen automatically if the turning is centered  between the sides of the box. I use  an indexing head screwed to my bench to divide up the turning, but you can do  it on th lathe, which will often have an indexed pulley at the head.-Al

Raul,

I use the method that Jeff and Al describe. The only thing I would do beyond what has already been offered is to pencil in the walls of each flute and remove some of the waste with a slightly smaller gouge. I find that scraping goes a lot quicker and is easier on the arms.

First, Jefferson, thanks for that link to Woodtreks... I just had a half hour of my evening vanish watching their finial carving videos!

Raul, perhaps I'm reading into this too much but you never actually mentioned the posts are turned which changes the approach to fluting them. After settling that issue how do you feel about using power tools? Many ways to skin a cat, none of which meet with the cat's approval!

Mark, you are more than welcome. I too have enjoyed watching the Wood Trek vids. :)

Raul, I remembered another video that covers fluting that might be helpful. It's on Glen Huey's website http://woodworkersedge.com/ . Glen even shares a source for the fluting bits.

Really, regardless of if you're using a tailed router, or a scratch stock, the method and the jig is pretty similar. One is quicker, one is quieter.

Thank you all for the information. It is all valuable.  I have constructed a jig that show the promise of working.

Back