Finishing Maple

I am trying to refinish a maple end table. I had trouble trying to apply varnish, I kept getting "fish eyes". So I sanded the piece down to raw wood and reapplied stain. This helped but I'm still getting some fish eyes in the stain. I tried to seal with shellac but this doesn't allow the stain to penetrate deep enough to give me the color I want without vertually "painting" the piece with stain. Any suggestions?

Alan,

I believe you have silicone contamination. You can wash down your stripped surfaces with "silicone wash" which may help. I've had some for years which I purchased from Mohawk. I'm not sure of a good source now but I know it is available. When you apply your top coats, you may have to add fish eye remover depending on what your top coat is. Silicone isn't usually a problem with shellac.

Craig

I too have had that problem in the past and use a product I get from an auto supply house called "Smoothy".  It will prevent "fisheye".  If you used a stripper to clean down the furniture, depending on the product, may leave a wax residue which will give you the fisheye.  Washing it down with lacq. thinner will help get rid of any residue prior to staining or finishing.

Hope this helps

Mike

Back