Fibonacci Gauge

cbentzley

I have a dear old friend in Raleigh, NC who has been prototyping a "Fibonacci Gauge" out of dogwood. He has an engraving machine and can personalize things. He just sent me one of his early ones as a gift and was curious if there is any interest out there. He's considering getting into a mini mass production of them. I told him I'd put out some feelers for him. Any interest anyone? If so, send me an email off forum. Thanks.

Craig

[email protected]

Attachments

• image01.jpg
    image01.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 46
Howard,

It is a caliper for golden rectangles. I've been playing with it on orthographic photos of furniture, to see how close they come to golden rectangles. If you place the two points that are closer together on the short side of a piece, the distance between the two outermost points will give a ratio of 1:1.618. I'm not sure how handy it is but it's fun to play with. It just makes it easier to search for that elusive golden mean.

Craig

To those of you who may be interested, The golden rectangle ratio of 1.618 is also known as phi.  Lee Valley has recently introduced phi rules which do the calculation for you and are very easy to use. They are also inexpensive.

www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=57625&cat=51&ap=1

My friend is ready to go on these. He's selling them for $35.00 which includes shipping and personalization. He has some in dogwood, hard maple, and mesquite (just for you Norm). His contact info is as follows:

Bruce Robertson
1705 Oakboro Drive
Raleigh, NC 27614-7742
[email protected]

He's a good guy so be nice to him.

Craig

Craig,

Thanks for the heads up on the fibonacci gauge.  I just ordered one from Bruce and as you can guess, in mesquite.  I look forward to recieving it!

Craig,

I received my mesquite fibonacci gauge yesterday  and it looks fantastic.  Bruce did a great job on these.  I plan to put an oil and wax finish on it to bring out the grain of the mesquite.  I checked the gauge against my phi rules and it was dead on accurate!  I will enjoy using it!  Thanks for letting everyone know about this and Thank you Bruce for a great job.

Back