Example or model source to practice details with

markf31

I have not built a period piece yet, but when I finish building bookcases for my two girls then I plan on moving onto my first period piece. I am leaning towards a highboy or lowboy in the Queen Anne style.

Are there places to order model or example cabriole legs from to use as a template as I work on my piece? Looking at photographs and plans is fine, but I dont really get a sense for how the leg should look and feel in my hands that way. And searching for an buying a piece of furniture for this purpose seems like a waste. I was hoping to find a source to order cabriole legs from and perhaps with a variety of feet such as a pad, a ball and claw and a trifid.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Mary May sells carving molds for various common motifs, such as the ball and claw foot.
I have her carving mold for the acanthus carving on the knees of cabriole legs which I'm happy to part with.

Re. the cabriole leg, you'll find that you achieve the most important aspects of the shape by the process of following a pattern and cutting it out on a bandsaw.  There's a methodical way to do this which will leave you with the shape you want.  There are many good educational resources, videos, articles on this.  Look up Phil Lowe who I think has a video or series (from Fine Woodworking?) and also Glen Huey has some great info.
Then it's a rather simple process of rounding the shape over with files, spokeshaves, or a combination of these with other tools.

BTW, Ray Journigan, VA Beach award winning furniture maker will be teaching the making of the John Elliot Phila. footstool at my shop in 2021.  He will cover all aspects of cabriole legs, including carving, plus both trifid and ball-and-claw carving of the feet......www.MaineCoastWorkshop.com

Keep us apprised of any questions and of your progress!

Back