Don McConnell's new plane video

Bob Mustain

I just finished watching Don McConnell's new video on traditional molding planes, briefly reviewed in the latest Newsletter.  What a treat!  Watching Don work his way through a dozen planes creating several different simple and complex moldings in cherry was great.  The title is really a misnomer, and should not put off anyone who already uses his or her stash of molding planes in their shop.  The video is much more than "the basics" at least as I understand the term.  He not only explains striking the moldings but covers layout, plane geometry, holding the work, fitting moldings to furniture and much more.  The DVD really does prepare a person reasonably familiar with planes to use molding planes to produce real work.

I only have one small complaint.  Don is armed with a dazzling array of Clark and Williams planes, a full half set of hollows and rounds, quirk beads, complex molders and even snipe bills.  Even if production wasn't backed up, few of us could afford all new planes.  Don spends very little time on tuning old planes to put them back to work, really only a segment on sharpening and reshaping the irons.  Still, there are other sources for these subjects and the instructional material in this video makes it much more than just worthwhile.  Congratulations to Don and to Lie-Nielson.  I hope there are more DVDs to come.

Howard,

You also can buy direct from Clark & Williams by phoning (479) 253-7416 for the same price.  With any luck you will be able to order directly from Larry Williams.  If you do talk to Larry, ask him if Don McConnell is busy making planes!   

While you are at it check out the other C&W DVD " Making Traditional Side Escapement Planes with Larry Williams " which is another fun DVD and may even provide some of that insight for tuning up old planes.  Both of these DVDs appear on the Lie Nielsen and Clark & Williams web sites.

Kent

I too would recommend the DVD.  I, believe, Mr. McConnell does indeed show how to sharpen the irons.  I would also recommend the DVD on sharpening a scraper.  I obtained both from Lie-Nielsen when I purchased two planes at a woodworking show.  It was considered the "show discount". 

I was in Maine at Lie Nielson's factory last Friday.  They no longer carry the video.  They told me they didn't sell enough of them to make it worth while.  If you want the video, Clark and Williams is your best bet.

Tom

Tom,

I'm not sure what you were told or why but I do know it wasn't right. Don's DVD was only released about 90 days ago. I happen to know what Lie-Nielsen's initial order for them was. If that initial order is already sold out, Don's DVD is selling very well.

Lie-Nielsen's entire sales department is in Chicago for a show this weekend and they left several days ago. The normal responsibilities of the sales department are being shared by other departments and my guess is the person you talked to had Don's DVD confused with something else.

Thomas is in Chicago for that show. I have his cell phone number and would call him to verify what I'm saying here but it's not necessary. Less than a month ago Don and I spent a couple weeks at Lie-Nielsen in Maine shooting a couple more DVDs. At that time Thomas said he was pleased with sales and was looking forward to the release of Don's second DVD on making moldings. I'm looking forward to it too. I believe Don really took advantage of his opportunity to present some documented 18th Century techniques that'll completely change the way contemporary period furniture makers work and what planes they use. It's an amazing example of how fruitful Don's thorough research can be. Thomas is aware of how revolutionary and enabling Don's new information is.

Larry Williams

Hi All,

Confirmation.  After reading Larry's post, I placed an order to LN in Maine for Don's video (and also Larry's).  This order was long overdue.  Anyway, LN confirmed today that they had the videos in stock, that they had pulled my order, and would be shipping soon.

They have them and are shipping them. 

Wiley Horne ... who normally stays quiet

I highly recommend both Larry and Don's videos.  I bought Larry's last fall as soon as it cam out and Don's about 6 weeks ago.  Both are outstanding.  I can't wait for the next two.  Lots of interesting and really useful information.

Back