Desk dimension issue

hermv2000

I am building the Secretary desk from FWW issues 154 to 156 and am stuck on a door detail, the large tombstone doors on the top part. The diagram shows the upper rail to be 5 1/2 inches wide. The arc is to be 4 inches radius, offset 1/2 inch below the bottom of the upper rail. That would place the top of this arc 2 inches below the top of the upper rail. Yet in scaling the drawing and the photograph of the doors the top of the arc appears to be between 2.5 and 2.6 inches below the top edge of the rail. Does that mean that the rail is actually 6 inches wide? Screen capture of the article page is attached.
Any help is appreciated,
Herman

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    77.5 KB · Views: 10
The 4"R starts 1/2" below the bottom edge of the upper rail. That means the distance from the top of the rail to the top of the 4"R arc is 2". The upper rail is 5-1/2" wide. Hope this helps.
Dennis Bork

Thank you Dennis. Here's a photo of the door on this desk. I scaled the photograph and the dimensions I get from that exercise suggest that the distance from the top of the rail to the top of the arc is 2.5 inches, not 2 inches.

Attachments

• door.JPG
    door.JPG
    110.3 KB · Views: 6
Back