Creating classic fluted columns for case pieces

FJDUFF

I have read with great interest Jeff Headley's method for creating classic quarter columns as presented in the March/April 2010 issue of Fine Woodworking.

I have a question for Jeff or anyone that has used that method to produce columns.  The cradle suggested in the article seems to be intended for a column whose radius
is 1- 1/8 inch or very close to that dimension.
  Does a separate cradle have to be produced if the radius of the columns is let's say 13/16-inch?  It would seem to be easy enough to make 1/8 -inch liners for the
cradle and slightly smaller cutters to produce a smaller column, and thereby get the benefit of being able to stop flute

Jeff, do you have any comments how you handle that situation in your shop?

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Frank Duff

I've used Jeff's method, it works great and is very fast.

The problem is not the cradle, but the scraper holder. You could probably get it to work by padding it. but I found to hold the scrapers in place you needed a narrow channel. So it wouldn't work for the different radius.

But it was really quick to make. I think it took me less than 2 hours to make one. So I would just make one down sized to hold the 13/16 piece rather than trying to adapt one. They don't take much room to store, and can be made from scraps. I think you get better results in the long run, and probably much less frustration.

Thanks Ttalma,

I recently saw Jeff’s holder when he gave a presentation at the MSV, and I remember that he had slots in it to align the cutters.

Seems that's the way to go.

Frank

Frank,
Sorry for the delay in responding. The problem is that with a smaller column the scraper blade cradel with it's scraper is further away from the column. Depending on the scraper material you might get chatter from the scraper. Similar to a wash boarded gravel road going up a hill. Hope this make semse.

Optimally the scraper should be about an 1/8th" away from the material being scraped. The straighter the grain the better. 

Jeff,

Thanks for the reply and the cutter edge separation advice.  I was wondering if chatter might be an issue and so I appreciate your covering that topic.  Also, I'm considering
the possible need to narrow the width of the cutter when doing smaller radius columns or possibly even reducing the number of flutes (either change needed to keep the width of the
shoulder from becoming to narrow).  I think I need to look at a few more originals and then make a few samples to see what really looks right for the chest I'm planning to do.
Best regards,
Frank Duff

Back