asphaltum

Frequently! Its variations and depth are akin to van dykes'. It can produce light golden browns to Bournville chocolate hues. It has the same highlighting abilities to van dyke, which makes it perfect for figured wood.

I have heard of it but never knew anyone who actually used it.

So how/where would it be used?

From my understanding, it will mix with oil. I know it mixes with mineral spirits easily.  I have gobs of it from doing japanning on tintypes.  On metal, it can give a nice brown to black.  I have just come across info of it being used on flintlock gun stocks.  I did a jig handle out of an extra curly maple block, and I will experiment.

I have used thinned down Mr. Henry's roof patch as an asphaltum glaze. From what I have read Gilsonitie was one of the ingredients for japanning on planes. It is also a major ingredient in in old thick 78 rpm phonograph records which are made from shellac and dissolve in alcohol according to the wisdom of the world Wide Web. Haven't tried it myself. Artist printmakers use asphaltum when making etchings as a resist.

I have used asphaltum as both a stain and glaze. It is also useful in aging new wood for restoration work. I get it in powdered form from "Graphic Chemical and Ink" a print making supply Co. They also sell a liquid form as hard ground.

Some Venetian mask makers use it to add depth/patina- basically as a glaze

Back