An Out Standing Chest

Jeff L Headley

I thought that I might answer any question on how I might go about building this triple chest from Charleston SC. It is an outstanding chest. Actually it is an out standing chest, out standing in our yard.
I have made a few changes from the originals we have seen. All case sides and rails and drawer fronts are 13/16" thickness. Bring in your wood and let it acclimate itself to your shop before the snow hits because it's going to get deep. And I didn't mean the snow. You will need to add a small strip of primary wood to the front of all the rails and bottoms. Why waste good wood when you don't have to. What might be the first question? Why am I doing this. Who knows! 

Attachments

• An out standing chest.JPG
    An out standing chest.JPG
    126.3 KB · Views: 490
Is this all solid, or is there veneer? Are the three sections (four, if you count the base), separate sections, as you might build the top and bottom of a highboy?

Interesting piece. What can you say about originals of this style?

Jeff,

Are the 3 sections just stacked in place- not fastened together?

Greg

The one pictured is out of solid mahogany. A great way of using up small wide pieces. To short for anything else. I am working on two others, one all out of solid cherry and one out of solid curly maple (which you probably wouldn't see in SC) but with curly maple veneered drawer fronts. After a days of cutting dovetails in maple and cherry I am looking forward to the poplar secondary drawer fronts. These chest are seen in many port towns. I know of a few in Baltimore among others. They were the steamer trunk of their day. Just lock and load them up on a ship and head north for the summer. Then back again in the winter. Snowbirds. I wish I was a snowbird right now. We are supposed to get 30" of snow today and tomorrow with 50 mph winds. Yes it does snow in Virginia. Good weather to build furniture. The chest is three separate pieces. The feet are setting under a mold which is fastened under the bottom case. The front piece of mold is glued and the side pieces are glued at the miter and maybe 3" back and then screw( in a sloppy hole) in the center of the case and at the back. I did just "face" about an inch of primary wood to my secondary wood (yellow pine). The ones I am building now will have poplar secondary wood . Solid bottom of secondary wood faced with primary wood and dovetail up into the sides. Unlike the original I am dovetailing three rails at the top of each case. Three secondary wood rails with the front rail overlaid with primary wood. Not veneered but 1/4"or thicker

Attachments

• Dovetailed side.JPG
    Dovetailed side.JPG
    139.5 KB · Views: 233
The lamp stand you did last year was very entertaining, so I'll be looking forward to this -- just post plenty of photos! Would you mind discussing your stock prep methods? Also, if these were commonly hauled from place-to-place, why no locks? Seems there would be a tendency for the draw(er)s to slide open during shipment/handling.
Allan

Jelff,

A very interesting chest.

Please post more photos if possible, including separate parts .  Is there any provision to align the units when stacked ?

Karl

Allen,  Lumber preparation is a key point. It is February in Virginia. Things are dry and cold. I would bring in all my lumber I think I will need for this piece. Or should I say I plan on bringing in all the lumber I need. The top, drawer bottoms, and the case back, can wait a few days. The case sides and bottoms certainly should be acclimated to our shop environment figuring everything will swell up this summer. It would be a good idea for the drawer sides to be inside now waiting to be sized. The drawer sides swelling this summer will be a concern. I mentioned earlier in a previous posting that we buy 6/4 poplar and have it resawed in half. This leaves us with generally 5/8" thick stock with little waste for sides, backs, and bottoms.  I don't like to waste lumber. Our lumber supplier says we aren't saving anything. I question that though.
I like drawers to fit as tight as possible as long as they won't be a concern when things swell. Wood swells seasonally, but a little less each year. I do like each pieces we build but after they are sold I don't plan on seeing them again except socially. The lack of locks come from the mahogany chest being a speculation piece. $15 to $30 per lock and an hour per for installation with no one paying the bill??? I try to build the best piece possible but ???  The lack of locks could have been disguised with escutcheons added and keyholes cutout. I have an another short cut I would like to discuss. Pictured are three top rails instead of a solid top similar to the bottom. The originals would certainly have had solid tops for the very same shipping reasons. I don't have that same concern.

Howard, This is a chest commonly seen in and around many port towns along. I have many examples from many southern towns

Attachments

• Three top rails.JPG
    Three top rails.JPG
    117 KB · Views: 196
Jeff - What are the outside dimensions of this set of chests?  Seems that I've seen one in a video clip from the New Yankee Workshop at one point, and my memory suggests that it (the antique) was about 5 feet tall, and about 30" wide.  I'm curious because you noted that it was "a good way to use up small pieces of wood", and boy, do I have a lot of that setting around.

Jeff,

It looks like the left side is solid cherry and the right side is secondary wood faced with a strip of cherry?

Dennis Bork

Karl, Each section will be held in place by three pieces of molding (except for the bottom which rests on the molding above the feet). One piece of molding on the front and another on each side. Again the front piece of molding will be held in place being glued to the top of the front rail. Then the side pieces will be glued at each joint and about three inches along the side and then nailed on with the holes being filled. Someone in the future can nail the front piece of molding down and someone else can discuss if it is original or not. Each section just lifts off counterpart. I will post pictures when I get there.

The outside dimensions are:
Bottom section
39 11/16 W
19 13/16 D
22 5/8 H

Center section
38 1/16 W
19 D
17 H

Top section
36 7/16 W
18 3/16  D
11 H

Dennis, Hope all is well and this finds you and your family in good spirits and best wishes. The sides are all solid. The strip added on the front of the bottom is so I don't waste any more primary wood than necessary. My pictures are not the best.

Here is another picture which didn't get posted previously. It is of the rail joinery.

Attachments

• sliding dovetail.JPG
    sliding dovetail.JPG
    159 KB · Views: 210
Hi Jeff,

I certainly look forward to your installments on this project. I have the Elfe book, and casually breezed past the chest there. But, seeing your reproduction and understanding  this is a very portable chest have made this a "must build" for me. I'm esp. curious about the backs; since this was meant to withstand shipping, I would think a strong rigid case would be important, but maybe weight also was a factor (Y/N?)

The piece has a nice, clean, simple look to it; no carvings and limited moldings-looking forward to the top too, can't quite make it out from the photo.

Greg

I guess the main inspiration for this chest would be from John Bivens and Bradford Rauschenberg, The Furniture of Charleston, 1680-1820, although this chest doesn't have an O-gee foot.
Pictured is marking for the rail depth. This chest will have frame construction to help with weight during shipping similar to the original. With frame construction( by frame construction I mean what supports the drawers, or drawer bearers. Shipping was charged by weight.  You will find this construction very early in Charleston, SC. Less weight adds to less cost in shipping. With similar constructed pieces, above the fall line, you will see full dust dividers heavier rails and sides. Generally heavier duty construction would be found in our area of the Shenandoah Valley. Those Germans new their construction but don't overlook the Irish. What is a little more weight when delivering pieces in a wagon.

Attachments

• cutting gauge marking rail depth.JPG
    cutting gauge marking rail depth.JPG
    139.7 KB · Views: 131
Pictured is a sliding dovetail. Notice the dovetail angle only on the bottom side of the rail. These dovetails will be covered up with a quarter inch strip.

Attachments

• sliding dovetail for rail.JPG
    sliding dovetail for rail.JPG
    130 KB · Views: 119
Pictured are the three sections, and  frame construction, with a 5 1/2" foot . Please disregard the upside down corner cupboard which needs feet. Either, of which, could be a feat in it's self.

Attachments

• Tri chest.JPG
    Tri chest.JPG
    162.6 KB · Views: 216
Back