An old vise

Tom M

Did you ever see a tool that you just can't stopping thinking about? You know you just gotta have one? (Even though you don't really need it.)  I got a bad case of that the other day when I saw a small vise at a tool auction.  It was part of a lot which included a small anvil (very old looking) and some type of tinsmith tool. I couldn't stick around to see what it went for - but based on the prices of everything else, I figure it was a lot more that I would be willing to spend.

I took the attached picture of the vise.  It had "HR Boker" stamped on it.  Does anyone have background on this style or maker?  It looks a lot like a blacksmith's post vise, but is bench top mounted and only a little bigger than my hand.

I really gotta get a life.....

Tom 

Attachments

• 102_1463 sm.jpg
    102_1463 sm.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 74
Tom et al,

According to the _Directory of American Toolmakers_, the working dates for Herman(n) Boker & Co., New York City, were from about 1837 to, at least, 1969, and a fairly wide range of tools bearing several different Boker marks have been reported. The DAT also opines that the majority of their offerings were probably made in Germany (Hermann and Robert Boker came from a long established tool/cutlery making family in Solingen), but acknowledges that they may have had facilities to produce items in the U.S. as well.

Also, the DAT indicates they acquired the Valley Forge Cutlery company some time after 1900 (Valley Forge trade mark registered in 1936), used the "TREE" trade mark for knives (registered in 1949), and possibly were agents for other American firms. (The latter is verified by an entry in the 1874 _Wiley's American Iron Trade Manual ..._, and an 1873 advertisement, which clearly indicates they were agents for the Lamson & Goodnow Manufacturing Co. of Shelburn Falls, MA.) Among other items, they were also gun dealers, with civil war documents indicating their participation in supplying arms to the Union troops (40,000 guns at one time in 1861).

More to the point, an 1872 Directory listing indicates that Hermann Boker & Co. were proprietors of the Manhattan Cutlery Company and the Trenton Vise & Tool Works. The 1874 Wiley's source, spells out the latter connection in more detail:

"TRENTON VISE AND TOOL Co. - Hermann Boker & Co., 99 and 101 Duane Street, N. Y., Proprietors. J. Howard Murray, Trenton, Superintendent and Manager. This works includes iron foundry, forge with over twenty fires, machine and finishing shops and brass foundry, and manufactures vises, sledges, hammers, picks, mattocks, and miscellaneous tools, with castings, iron bridges, and turn-tables, and general foundry work, with brass, composition, and Babbitt metal castings in the brass foundry. The shops are large, well-lighted and ventilated, and conveniently situated, giving employment, when running full, to about 100 hands. Under previous owners, the Trenton Vise and Tool Co. was not successful, but since the property of Messrs. Hermann Boker & Co., and under the management of J. Howard Murray, Superintendent, it has done a profitable and increasing trade."

So, I think it a very good possibility that the vise you saw was made in the Trenton Vise and Tool Co. works. I am attaching, below, a couple of images of Hermann Boker & Co. advertisements from an 1873 source.

A vise very similar to the one you saw is listed in the Otto Young & Co. "Tool and Material Catalogue" of 1892/3. This Chicago firm specialized in supplying the watch and jewelry trades. As no specific usage is given, I think it (supplied in two sizes by Young & Co.) was for general light metal work.

Hope this helps.

Don McConnell
Eureka Springs, AR

Attachments

• Boker1873-1.gif
    Boker1873-1.gif
    29.1 KB · Views: 12
  • Boker1873-2.gif
    Boker1873-2.gif
    33.1 KB · Views: 21
  • lbvise.gif
    lbvise.gif
    20.7 KB · Views: 32
Hi Tom, You take me back to a very young lad, I owned a 2402 table top vice, in my hen hut workshop, thank you for reminding me. happy days.

Joseph

Just found this one on ebay, but it looks like something is wrong with the screw sticking out the front.

Attachments

• xl_Img10172.jpg
    xl_Img10172.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 40
Tom M said:
Just found this one on ebay, but it looks like something is wrong with the screw sticking out the front.
Tom, It may have just been made under licence ? in anywhere land, to make it different! someone is always ready to start making us think.
thanks again for reminding me.

Joseph

Tom- I have a hand forged vise very similar to the one you show. Somewhere I've seen an identical vise in an old ( late 18th  or early 19th c.) Sheffield tool catalogue avilable in different sizes. It could have been in Roubo's (sp.?) encyclopedia. At any rate, it's an ancient design.-Al

... And might I add to Don's comment that you can buy a copy of the DAT in digital format directly from the Early American Industries Association ( www.eaiainfo.org ). While you're at it, you can also buy the full run of The Chronicle of the EAIA on disc too.

Shameless plug.

Gary

Well I finally found one of those old vises.  After spending a bit of time with mineral spirits, a wire brush and some wax it looks great.  Very nice design.

I thought it looked so good I dovetailed a little stand for it, and placed it on my breakfast table in the living room.  That lasted until my wife saw it!  Well, it will look good in my shop.

Tom

Attachments

• 100_2269 crop.JPG
    100_2269 crop.JPG
    140.2 KB · Views: 37
Back