3-2-1 finish

Mo Yarborough

Thinking about the Phenolic Short Oil Varnish brings up a project that was presented to me last summer.  A customer wanted their kitchen cabinet doors "Stippled", and the varnish finish to resemble the Acrylic Finish one sees on factory applied cabinets.  My experiments with boat varnishes and Minwax urethanes lead me to a beautiful finish, even more striking and easier to finish than the blended 3-2-1 wipe-on.  My customer was thrilled with the finish mixture of  2 -4 - 1/2.  It leaves no streaks, and is highly controlled.  2 parts varnish ( 1 part satin, 1 part gloss), 4 parts mineral spirits, 1/2 part boiled linseed oil.  Brush on heavily, let sit 10-15 minutes and do a two stage wipe-off.  Second stage done with bounced light and a clean cloth and rubbed to a non-blemish.  Let dry 24hr and apply again.  The one part satin and one part gloss applied in three coats gave me the matte finish I was after.  More coats adds more gloss, but slightly.  I did not use Naptha based on dying properties.  The mineral spirits keeps the open time for wiping correct for up to 15 minutes.  Perfect for a finish over painted grain patterns, and other textures.  Beautiful on figured wood, and is a great protector.

What varnish did you use in this formula? Was it a phenolic or urethane resin? I know some of the marine Spar varnishes use a phenolic resin.

This application required a low-flex, minimal color-aging, waterproof finish.  The cabinet doors were manufactured in the late 60's in High Point, NC and were made from compressed composite and sealed with epoxy.  They were sanded, re-sealed, and spackle paint treatment applied.  A test door revealed the marine spar blend was too flexible and would darken.   The Spar Urethane was too flexible (soft) and would darken. The blend I chose was made with Poly Urethane.  On test pieces of hardwood the Marine Spar blend has a luster and darkening properties that surpass the Urethanes.  

Back